Future Planning: What should we call our IRL Conferences?

ClassicCommerce is the name of a plugin. I am not sure that a conference should have the same naming convention. In addition, ClassicCommerce has the benefit of alliteration. ClassicSummit does not.

I purchased classicsummit.com just in case we decide to go with it; seems to be the most-favored option so far.

5 Likes

I think that is a wise move:

ClassicPress
ClassicCommerce
ClassicSummit
ClassicPlugins?
etc, etc.

Creates a family or suite of names.

Of course, as James pointed out, you could make everything a sub-domain instead. Depends which way you want to go.

I think it depends on whether it’s seen as an “official” CP enterprise, or whether it’s an unofficial off-shoot. For example ClassicCommerce was seen as separate, so it should have its own domain name.

Yes, I know how ClassicCommerce came about, why and by whom. If it’s to be the e-commerce solution for CP, then it doesn’t matter who does the actual development, it becomes a CP product. Otherwise we wasted all the time talking about it.

If we limit “official” products to only those developed by the core team, it will take forever to get anything done. There are only so many hours in a day.

My understanding is that ClassicCommerce is just a plugin like any other plugin. It’s not going to be the e-commerce solution for CP - it’s just a solution. I’m sure there will be others.

Anyway, I’m sure someone from the committee will clarify the distinction between what should have a separate domain name and what gets a subdomain.

1 Like