Genesis 3.2.1 Update Errors with Old Versions of WP/CP

Hi, everyone! I’m Melissa. I’m new to ClassicPress, but not to WordPress. I’ve been testing a theme on my localhost and also on my personal hosting test site. I discovered that if Genesis 3.2.1 is installed with any Genesis child theme on WP 4.9.13 or ClassicPress, it gives the following error: “Looks like something’s gone wrong. Wait a couple seconds, and then try again.” I have most of the archived versions of the Genesis Framework that I’m testing. I will report back with my results.

4 Likes

They do say WordPress 5.0+ is required for Genesis 3.2. It was only a matter of time. Especially since WP Engine owns it now. They are invested in WordPress.

5 Likes

I love error messages like this. So helpful. :slightly_smiling_face:

It looks like you will need to use an older version of Genesis. Or you could maybe try Beaver Builder - they have guaranteed support for CP and are active on this forum.

Oh yes, and… welcome!

Edit: Interesting they say…

Existing Genesis users running WordPress 5.0+ … will see an update prompt in the WordPress admin area. Click “update now” to update your Genesis site. … If the update prompt is missing, check that you are running WordPress 5.0+

That suggests to me that you can keep using an older version with WP4.9 / CP.

5 Likes

Hi, viktor! I apparently missed that small detail on Studiopress’ blog last year. :woman_facepalming:t2: LOL! I was wracking my brain and trying to figure out what in the world I had done wrong. :wink:

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi, ozfiddler!

I did a Google search on that error message, and it rendered nothing helpful. Yes, I did figure out I’ll have to use an older version of Genesis. I’m trying to figure out how high I can go before I start getting that error, again. LOL. I haven’t used Beaver Builder, but I appreciate the suggestion. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use Genesis on almost all sites, the last proper working version is 2.10.1

This version is a good starting point to fork framework to the ClassicFramework 1.0. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi, LinasSimonis!

Last night, I was able to get version 3.0.3 to work properly, but I still need to do more testing. Genesis Sample 2.6 won’t uninstall cleanly, though. I had to uninstall it manually. This was on my localhost on my MacBook. Sample 2.7.1, 2.8, and 2.9.1 will uninstall cleanly, thus far. I have some downtime right now, so I’ll be doing further testing. I’ll let y’all know what I find out.

BTW, I love your suggestion about forking the framework. I’d like to do that, but I am not well versed enough in PHP to do it.

2 Likes

Newer than 2.10.1 versions setting page moved to the Customizer, what I see awful decision. The 2.10.1 version, together with Disable Genesis Customizer Redirect plugin - the last proper version IMHO.

You can always ask for support here. I am sure, you will receive help.

As I understand, forking consists of integrating “Disable Genesis Customizer Redirect” and backporting security fixes.

Also, I like Dynamik Website Builder approach to website (not page!) builders. Because it depends on Genesis, maybe the author will show a support to this fork and to CP overall, because it enhances his user base.

2 Likes

I think I’m tracking now. Thank you, again, for your input. It is helpful. I’m currently editing Genesis Sample 2.7.1.

2 Likes

For me, Genesis Sample 2.10.0 works fine, I suspect, that you can update to this version safely.

2 Likes

Thank you. :slight_smile:

I believe I have found the version of Genesis to use and which base of Genesis Sample to use as my foundation for rebuilding my theme. I will be using Genesis 2.10.1 and Genesis Sample 2.2.2 since it doesn’t have any extra things that I won’t use. I’ll be able to build on it easier.

Side note: Would anyone be interested in forking Genesis, or is this something I should take to a petition?

Thanks. :wink:

3 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Forking Genesis