Forking Genesis

Continuing discussion from Genesis 3.2.1 Update Errors with Old Versions of WP/CP - #12 by marmstrong14

I’m currently considering (once I’m done with Storefront :wink: ) going down this route if there’s enough interests for a fork!

A warning though: I’m a very opinionated dev when it comes to what a theme should and shouldn’t do. So if I was to fork Genesis the first thing out of the door will be the SEO code - for me that’s plugin territory and does not belong in a theme!

8 Likes

Hi, zulfgani!

Nice to meet you. :slight_smile: That would be amazing!

I have no problem with that at all. I can be pretty opinionated myself. LOL! I know what I like and don’t like. As it stands, I think Genesis has become quite bloated with a bunch of functions that should’ve remained in plugins. From what I’ve observed, the current version of Genesis seems to have merged the Genesis Simple Edits plugin with the Framework. That annoyed the fire out of me, and it is why I’m using 2.10.1 for my framework and using 2.2.2 as my jumping off point for my custom theme.

6 Likes

Yes, I am interested. As I said, I froze Genesis on 2.10.1 version. Now it works on ClassicPress well, but I scared about security updates.

Yes, SEO is a plugin territory, but, contrary to @marmstrong14 I use Genesis Simple Edits plugin everywhere :slight_smile:

Also, I will contact Dynamik Website Builder developer with a question about CP support. If Genesis will be forked, the support of Dynamik will brighten our lives considerably. Yes, I think, that Dynamik is the best website builder for non coders.

3 Likes

Likewise @marmstrong14 :slight_smile:

1 vote counts as 10 upvotes so we shall run with it :+1:

3 Likes

Good to hear that :slight_smile:

Once it all gets going we shall discus all these issues, address them and do the utmost to maintain security as well as the good (features in plugin formats if necessary).

6 Likes

I wasn’t saying that Genesis Simple Edits is inherently bad, but as previously mentioned, I think it was a bit of overkill on Studiopress’ part with it being added to Genesis 3.0.* core. I hope that makes sense. :slight_smile: I do use it when I can’t sort out the code I’m trying to use. :wink:

1 Like

I hope this is the right place to comment. . . I just discovered that Genesis Simple Edits 2.3.0 will not work with Genesis 2.10.1 or with ClassicPress. I have Genesis Simple Edits 1.7.3, and that will work.

Didn’t remember how it was on ClassicPress, but Genesis Simple Edits 2.2.2 + Genesis 2.10.1 + WP 4.9 works without problems. Can’t remember any problems on CP, when tested, but in a few days will do additional tests.

I think, Genesis 2.10.1 and Genesis Simple Edits 2.2.2 are the last proper versions. Plus Disable Genesis Customizer Redirect 1.0.1 from Bill Erickson.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! :smiley: I had to hunt down a legit copy of GSE 2.2.2. I found it on GitHub, thankfully! I will download the Genesis Customizer Redirect, also.

1 Like

Seems like it’s thumbs up all around for the idea to fork and so it shall be done :slight_smile:

Now for the most difficult part of it all - coming up with a catchy name! All suggestions are welcome.

When I was toodling around with it this week, I was using Solid Rock. I came up with it from the Baptist Hymnal. LOL! Foundation might be another good name.

1 Like

After Genesis, there was Exodus.™

…and there’s your slogan, too. :smiley:

11 Likes

I LOVE that! :smiley:

1 Like

If there were any bugs. . .Lamentations. :joy:

2 Likes

Some random but somewhat related (spring off) name suggestions list: In alphabetical order…

Advance
Arise
Aurora
ClassicallyPressed
Contour
Dawn
Destiny
Diverge
Diversity
Evolve
Evolution
Exodus
ExoGen/ExGen (Exodus+Genesis)
Exogenous
Lamentations
PressOn
Protocol

2 Likes

Not many devout Christians would want to deal with Exodus, I imagine :joy: All those plagues and slavery.

Genesis means “Origin”. That could be a good name. A synonym is “Alpha”. In case you want to stick with that theme/topic.

2 Likes

I’m a devout Christian, and personally like the Exodus name. :wink:

My husband said that God’s people didn’t get the plagues, the bad guys did! :joy:

I think Origin is a great suggestion as well. My comment about Lamentations was my being tongue in cheek. :wink:

2 Likes

We can diverge to a complete new direction so not restricting to the theme/topic :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like this suggestion best – it is ideal to use a plugin name that means something in the context of what the plugin does.

2 Likes

You can’t use Aurora. It’s one of CP’s codenames.

And please. Can I suggest Evolution?

2 Likes