Forking Genesis

Don’t forget Revelations. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

In this case, you just put a “Framework” after the name.

“Classic Framework” or “Rockin’ Frameworkin’” or “Mammoth Framework”, for example.

2 Likes

Yes indeed. It’s just thrown in there to stimulate/provoke thoughts on new names :slight_smile:

Just like ClassicallyPressed - imagine having the name as The Classically Pressed Framework :rofl:

3 Likes

I’ve considered and like this very much - the only issue is that there is the old/original Classic theme in the Org repo to try and avoid a clash with for the time being. Hoping with our own directory this won’t be so much of an issue, unless CP v2 and beyond will be maintaining a back compat with the current org repos? @james

I would like to maintain a single Class/function prefix though. So the theme maybe named “Classic Framework” or “Awesome Framework” but the main class would be Classic_ and the function classic_ with actions and filters prefixed with classic-action-name/classic-filter-name

Again, the above is just an example so keep those suggestions coming in :slight_smile:

Call it GenesisFork. No confusion.

3 Likes

@joyously:laughing:

The code could be namespaced (no idea if it is already) and all those prefixes eliminated. I don’t care for using “cp”, “classic”, “Classic”, or “classic_” anywhere in a code base or software name. …it’s sort of tacky (personal opinion, not a committee position) and virtually identical to the The WordPress Way™ of prefixing everything with the core brand. If you are going to fork it, it should use your vendor prefixes. :slight_smile:

I don’t mind this, at least at this stage in our development. There is still some concern with users about what will and won’t work with ClassicPress. Having Classic or CP in the title immediately signals to the user that this one is OK. It’s like a tick of approval.

You are thinking like a vendor. :grin:

For example, Classic Commerce has no “vendor”… it is a community project.

2 Likes

It can cause legal issues since Genesis is part of the name. There’s a legal precedent for this:

It’s best to stay away from Genesis, and use something completely different.

4 Likes

There are legal implications on using the original name as it’s an established “Brand” of StudioPress and now WP Engine.

4 Likes

Even though I’ve put myself up for the fork I’d rather this be a community fork rather than a personal/vendor venture.

As mentioned by @ozfiddler - using Classic would make it clear that it’s forked/built/developed/enhanced for the ClassicPress platform which will give confidence to end users and developers in adopting it.

But as I’ve mentioned above, the classic/Classic are given as an example (I still like it) and I’m open to better name suggestions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just came across a word that could be a nice, short, catchy name: Olla

Basically, means a pot.

1 Like

I quite like Exodus personally.

4 Likes

It is sort of apt… "The word itself was adopted into English (via Latin) from Greek Exodos, which literally means “the road out.”

Then again, it could apply to pretty much everything to do with ClassicPress.

5 Likes

Personally I would stay far away from religious references, and from names that describe people needing to “escape” from wp to land in CP.

Hinting biblical references has nothing to do with what plugin does, and IMHO has no reason.

Using names depicting a migration implies we want to live on people who escape from something else. We instead need to see ourselves as one of the choices.

We are not only just a place to go because WP has gone south.

We are a CMS. A new one. And we have same worth as the others.

We are young. And in development. Every platform has a begining. And this is a feature, not a bug.

1 Like

It’s an obvious play on words, not intended to be a religious thing. The name Genesis caught on just fine. In this context, Exodus makes perfect sense to me. …and we’re talking about a theme engine, not the ClassicPress project itself. :wink:

1 Like

I did a little research, and perhaps Elisabetta is right. Even though some of us, myself included, like the idea of the name Exodus, maybe we should focus the new framework on who we are as a community. Just food for thought. :slight_smile:

If it’s going to be a community project, it is something whose name will be directly associated with the community and for people it will identify a part of CP.
The words we use to define/name a thing have an impact on all that is in some way connected to the thing itself.
Otherwise, why CodePotent?

1 Like

Agree 100%.

Choosing a name, the first criteria is how it sounds, only the second - what it means.

Also, IMHO, in order to escape confusion, the word “Framework” is necessary.

The most memorable names often are the best sounding (not meaning), like Rockin’ Frameworkin’ in my case (this is only an example to show technics of name creation).

1 Like

I don’t spend too much time naming stuffs, I either give it a stylish name of my current situation or the goal of the project, here we go:

Solidine - Solid Engine
Stylus - This one just popped up
The Reel Framework - Reel meaning a revolving part in various machine, :wink:
Revamp - Since this is a framework, any theme coming out of it is a revamp (renovate, patch up)
Demonizer - Since the framework is an underlying infrastructure of new themes, it kinda make sense, demon (background)

:upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Oh. @Devrealm_Guy got my point right!
I can add:
Desnap (design in a snap) framework

1 Like