Have we had an update?

I have just opened my site and on the dashboard and on the updates section I have just got this message: An automated ClassicPress update has failed to complete - please attempt the update again now, with a link going to https://chb44.com/wp-admin/update-core.php

Before I press this update and potentially cause problems, I am already on 1.1.2 and wasn’t aware of an update.

So what do I do? Press it and see what happens or ignore it.

I think tagging @james here is better. I was on my CP site and no trace of upgrades. And I am on your same version.
That said, I think we should understand what is going on before clicking the link.

That is what I thought, I didn’t want to click it, as it would be good to work out why first.

2 Likes

If you refresh the page, does the message go away?

No.

Last night one of the plugins needed an update, WP-Optimize, which I did, and then I closed my browser and went to bed. This morning I started things up and saw this message and the little update symbol missing on the top bar. Hence the reason of asking.

I have just checked my plugins and have now besides the first message about the core update, also see: The plugin wp-optimize/wp-optimize.php has been deactivated due to an error: Plugin file does not exist.

I have just checked my files on my hosting and notice that I still have the wp-optimize folder. I also have a .maintenance folder, which if I have a problem with updates in the past, I then delete to redo the update.

I presume the problem is some how linked with the plugin update that has or hasn’t happened.

I haven’t deleted anything or done anything yet. If you want any logs or anything then let me know where they would be. If if I can go ahead and delete .maintenance folder or do anything else then let me know.

2 Likes

Sounds like something went wonky during the wp-optimize update.

Make a copy of the maintenance folder somewhere but I think it should be OK to delete it. Check that the upgrade folder (wp-content/upgrade) is empty too.

Then, if you’ve got FTP/SFTP access, I would download wp-optimize, unzip it and then upload it to your server. Overwrite the existing files. Go back to admin and refresh…and keep your fingers crossed.

4 Likes

Many thanks, deleting the maintenance folder and clearing the upgrade folder did the trick, and returned things back to normal.

Many thanks for your help.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.