Help Test PHP 8.0 Compatibility in v1.5.0-RC1

Originally published at: https://www.classicpress.net/test-php-8-0-compatibility-v1-5-0-rc1/

Help test ClassicPress v1.5.0-RC1 with PHP 8.0 and report all issues. Your help is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

I copied my entire installation of ClassicPress 1.4.4 from my production VPS server into my new development virtual machine running PHP 8.1 and everything seems to work fine after I upgrade to 1.5.0-rc1. I am able to post a comment and access the admin panel.

gpadmin-local@gp-cpdev-php8:~$ php --version
PHP 8.1.12 (cli) (built: Nov 10 2022 02:42:46) (NTS)
Copyright (c) The PHP Group
Zend Engine v4.1.12, Copyright (c) Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v8.1.12, Copyright (c), by Zend Technologies

My development VM runs Debian Sid/Unstable with PHP 8.1. I will wait for ClassicPress 1.5 to come out before I upgrade my VPS machine from Ubuntu 20.04 LTS to 22.04 LTS.

This release doesnā€™t yet provide PHP 8.1 support. There will be issues. At this time, only PHP 8.0 is supported.

testing this RC on a multisite setup with several plugins on a PHP 8.0.26 and debugging to true with error logging.
I am on hosting with the Plesk panel.
No errors so far, and everything works smoothly.

2 Likes

Below are my test results. Except for ClassicSEO plugin, all seems to be working fine.

Server details

VPS : Intel Xeon, 16GB RAM, 4Core
Debian : 11
Apache : 2.4.54
MySQL : 8.0.31

• Fresh install

CP version : 1.4.4
PHP : 7.4.33

Plugins:

• Limit Login Reloaded
  • Classic SEO (btw - throws an error when trying to watch details)

Plus:

• basic Security hardening
  • Added the MAKE theme

Installation now is more or less a basic production installation.

• Upgrade to v1.5.0-RC1 (migration plugin)
  • tested creating page + post using PHP 7.4.x
  • installed plugin (cpcompatibility, older version)
  • installed plugin WP Fastest Cache
  • Switched to Php 8.0.25

Update cpcompatibility failed: ā€œUpdate Failed: Internal Server Errorā€, error log shows itā€™s Classic Seo causing it:
classicpress-seo/includes/module/class-manager.php(43): Classic_SEO\Helpers\Conditional::is_heartbeat()\n#3

After removing it cpcompatibility worked again and updated. Downloaded new version from CP SEO from the CP website, installation fails (changed username/domain in below). This is, Iā€™d say, an essential plugin:

Fatal error: Uncaught TypeError: filter_var(): Argument #3 ($options) must be of type array|int, string given in /home/user/domains/userdomain.nl/public_html/cp/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/helpers/class-param.php:56 Stack trace: #0 /home/user/domains/userdomain.nl/public_html/cp/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/helpers/class-param.php(56): filter_var() #1 /home/user/domains/userdomain.nl/public_html/cp/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/classicpress-seo.php(314): Classic_SEO\Helpers\Param::request() #2 /home/user/domains/userdomain.nl/public_html/cp/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/classicpress-seo.php(188): Classic_SEO->init_actions() #3 /home/user/domains/userdomain.nl/public_html/cp/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/classicpress-seo.php(164): Classic_SEO->setup() #4 /home/user/domains/userdomain.nl/public_html/cp/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/classicpress-seo.php(440): Classic_SEO::get() #5 /home/user/domains/userdomain.nl/public_html/cp/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/classicpress-seo.php(444): cpseo() #6 /home/user/domains/userdomain.nl/public_html/cp/wp-admin/includes/plugin.php(2137): include(ā€˜ā€¦ā€™) #7 /home/user/domains/userdomain.nl/public_html/cp/wp-admin/plugins.php(176): plugin_sandbox_scrape() #8 {main} thrown in /home/user/domains/userdomain.nl/public_html/cp/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/helpers/class-param.php on line 56

• added AIOSEO > Note: AIOSEO will be discontinuing support for WordPress versions older than version 5.3 by the end of 2022.
  • Added Shield Security.
  • Created post + new category incl. featured image;
  • Update page, Created new page using MAKE builder
  • MAKE theme customizer still works fine.

Thanks for the feedback. Iā€™m not sure what we can do with Classic SEO. I want the plugin to be active, but Iā€™ve failed to get any developers on board to help maintain it.

1 Like

@Rudy_Brinkman about SEO I can confirm that CP SEO doesnā€™t work with 1.4 either. After extensive testing, I found Squirly SEO and it works fine with CP 1.5 and 1.4 without throwing errors.

1 Like

I understand - Iā€™m not much of a developer so canā€™t be of any help in this :roll_eyes:

Can try this later in the day

PHP 8.1.13 (cli) (built: Nov 26 2022 14:07:36) (NTS)
Copyright (c) The PHP Group
Zend Engine v4.1.13, Copyright (c) Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v8.1.13, Copyright (c), by Zend Technologies

Good install instructions for PHP 8 https://devanswers.co/how-to-upgrade-from-php-7-x-to-php-8-on-ubuntu-apache/

1 Like

If you have Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and are holding out on upgrading to Ubuntu 22.04, you might want to try upgrading to Ubuntu 22.04 instead of adding a PPA. Of course, if you have any packages that depend on Ubuntu 20.04 and will break on 22.04 (MongoDB being the one), then using a PPA should only be the last resort.

For me, Iā€™m going to hold off until the developers of ClassicPress releases 1.5; however, so far I have not had any problems with Ubuntu 22.04 and PHP 8.1 for ClassicPress, even though ClassicPress developers only support PHP 8.0 and not 8.1.

For Classic Seo I have found a temporal workaround.

3 Likes

We have a new version of Classic SEO available for testing, itā€™s not released publicly yet. It has PHP 8 compatibility. Zip can be downloaded here.

We need to test it before itā€™s released.

1 Like

The link gives a 404-error.

Sorry about that, I didnā€™t notice release is still in draft status so itā€™s not public. You can directly download zip here.

1 Like

Made a backup and upgraded my production website at https://brinkman.it/ to the latest CP and upgraded the installed ClassicSeo by simply installing it replacing the existing install. Works perfectly fine. :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks. Great news.

1 Like