How many plugins are too many? The case for granular plugins

Everything youā€™ve listed here is opinion, thoughā€¦ This is what I referred to by personal interpretation and inequity. Although, I do agree with one item you listed regarding style sheets. The rest is pretty subjective.

1 Like

Whether you store it in a repository or list it in a directory, you only have control over the first version. The author can update it at any time to be different, with flaws or malware or cryptomining. How much responsibility does CP have for every update?
Also, for the legal angle, CP is bound to use the GPL, and so is every plugin and theme, as derivative works (although there is some question whether all plugins are derivative). The GPL is about distribution. A repository with a download button is distributing the code. A directory ā€“ does it have a download button? does it point to private repositories? Authors selling their code would not want open distribution because itā€™s GPL which means anyone can distribute it once they have it.

1 Like

How much responsibility does CP have for every update?

The duty to take reasonable care. What that means depends on the precise context but the very fact that we donā€™t have control over the code hosted elsewhere means that our responsibility is essentially limited to taking appropriate action when we know, or ought to be aware, that there is a significant problem with the code.

there is some question whether all plugins are derivative

Not really. Matt Mullenweg is one side, and pretty much all the lawyers are on the other! There is no question that some code is not derivative and therefore need not be licensed under the GPL (though I am not sure that CP would include it in the directory). The true issue there is in working out when specific code is not derivative.

2 Likes

I donā€™t recall any decision to take a commission on premium plugins. It certainly would change things somewhat. But, as I say, Iā€™m not sure weā€™ll be going down that particular route.

And, yes, we will spell out the details in a policy governing the terms of use of the directory.

1 Like

Would be interesting to see when case law starts coming out on transformative vs. derivative.
There are very different feelings about that in U.S. vs in Europe.

Not a decision. But there was a silent approval that it can be a good idea to have 3 different plugin groups in the directory: free, freemium and paid; we can act as middleman between end users and plugin authors with the reasonable commission (say, 20%).

Some discussions are here: Premium Services Discussion
And this quote made me impression about general acceptance of this idea:

Sometimes it is worth to bring back an old discussion. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually, James says specifically there that heā€™s not speaking on behalf of the committee. We havenā€™t discussed it further because we havenā€™t yet worked out all the technical aspects. So itā€™s a possibility, sure, but I think itā€™s dependent on a few other things being in place first.

1 Like

It is a viable monetization option thoughā€¦ :coffee:

I understand that. Just wanted to point to the discussion and the old idea how to arrange plugin directory. Still think that this is a good way to earn money to further CP development. And I didnā€™t hear any objection to this monetization idea.

Sure, it is. But I daresay others will have other suggestions when we get nearer to implementing the directory.

Then, the question is ā€œhow to bring all ideas to the one place and choose the best oneā€.

Start a thread on that precise topic.

2 Likes

Monetization is most likely to be successful with multiple revenue streams, not just one.

1 Like

Iā€™d like for us to include a measure of plugin and/or bundle size in the directory search results. We also need to continue our efforts around education (why smaller plugins are usually better). To me this boils down to ā€œdo one thing and do it wellā€, and @anon71687268 and @azurecurve are well-positioned to be leaders in small ClassicPress plugins.

In the spirit of the original post I am taking ā€œextension-basedā€ to mean ā€œgranularā€ or just ā€œsmallerā€. In which case, yes, less code is always easier to review and manage than more code.

I still agree with this, but we have to build the initial (free) version first.

3 Likes

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Iā€™d like to see the overall size in kb and the total number of files for any plugin before I install it. Given a choice between two similar plugins Iā€™d always try the leaner one first.

1 Like

The number of files can be a misleading stat. Plugins that have more abstracted code will often have more files, but, that doesnā€™t necessarily mean itā€™s a lesser quality plugin. Indeed, the exact opposite could be true.

4 Likes

Yep. Good point. OK - just size would be enough for me then.

2 Likes

When I put forward a design for the WP plugin search, I included plugin size, but was told in Slack that ā€œsize didnā€™t matterā€ (!!) on plugins. That ticket has some good feedback for accessibility of the filter part of the page.

5 Likes

I do think size matters somewhere in terms of plugins. Take Caldera Forms, for example, last time I installed it (admittedly, quite some time ago by now,) it came with a bunch of needless weight, including the entire testing suite. I think it was near 15Mb. It would be good to know this ahead of time if Iā€™m on a metered or slow connection.

5 Likes

Size definitely matters here! Thereā€™s an events plugin thatā€™s bigger than WP core, and it really doesnā€™t do much. Itā€™s highly rated, but heaven knows why.

I have been seeing many bloated plugins recently. I keep wondering what problems they are introducing.

4 Likes