How to properly fix broken links?

i’m writing a bash script that uses curl to check HTTP status codes for all links in a given file

should i be looking in the posts database SQL file, or the XML export files for posts and pages?

finally, what is the best/safest way to replace busted links - should i replace them in the XML files and re-import them (plugin required), or is it better to replace them in the db?

my worry is, if i search/replace globally in the posts db that i could be replacing some links that might be broken for a good reason, such as CDATA links (i don’t know what they’re for) or perhaps internal redirects for posts/pages that i moved or whatever

That’s a broad question that doesn’t have one definitive answer.
I suggest you use an existing plugin that has already thought through it.
Search Results for “broken link” | WordPress.org

There is logic in the main importer plugin to change links from the XML base to the current base URL. Additionally, renamed posts are handled internally, using the _wp_old_slug post meta field.

1 Like

the plugins i’ve tried are… “buggy”, to put it gently, hence why i’m writing a script to handle this myself

Broken Link Checker is coded badly and will not run on a reasonably secured web server - i opened a bug report well over a year ago that still hasn’t been addressed far as i know - frankly i’ve had it with their “support”

another one i just tried is Link Finder - this poorly coded mess spams requests as fast as possible thus resulting in an avalanche of ‘429 TOO MANY REQUESTS’ and the 404’s it did return that i checked were 200’s, not 404’s

so, at this point, and unless someone has a better idea, i intend to parse the XML post/page exports and then manually update the broken links in the *_posts table > post_content column only, thus i won’t be messing with any serialized data i don’t think

this seems to me like it might be the better way to go rather than parsing the SQL dump file of *_posts, however i’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer and so am open to suggestions :slight_smile:

I’m locking this thread, so it doesn’t attract SEO spam.