Incompatible CP Plugin: Subscribe to Category

The plugin named “Subscribe to Category” in the ClassicPress plugin directory (https://directory.classicpress.net/plugins/subscribe-to-category) has been listed as compatible for CP from version 1.0.0. In testing this plugin I discovered that the plugin is not compatible with CP due to a function call named “wp_set_script_translations()” which was introduced in Wordpress 5.0.0.

My Server:

I am running a custom theme with the official CP SEO plugin and the official WP Import plugin enabled.

PHP 7.3.27-1~deb10u1 (cli) (built: Feb 13 2021 16:31:40) ( NTS )
Copyright (c) 1997-2018 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v3.3.27, Copyright (c) 1998-2018 Zend Technologies
with Zend OPcache v7.3.27-1~deb10u1, Copyright (c) 1999-2018, by Zend Technologies

Error Output

[Wed May 05 13:23:25.785691 2021] [php7:error] [pid 13576] [client 207.5.84.54:51242] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function wp_set_script_translations() in htdocs/wp-content/plugins/subscribe-to-category/classes/class-stc-subscribe.php:126

If someone could confirm in a test environment we may want to remove that plugin from the directory until the author can push a fix.

WARNING: This plugin WILL make your entire CP website inoperable to please make sure to test on a test CP site.

Update (13:44 EST 05MAY21): I commented out the function in question and there appears to be more incompatibilities with the wpdb->prepare() function which I see has also been updated in WP 5.3.x. Was hoping for a quick fix I could send to the author but no dice on this one.

I didn’t verify the error, per se, but, did verify that ClassicPress does not define a wp_set_script_translations function. IMO this plugin should be removed right away:

Rationale:

• the WP Repo shows version 2.5.9 for this plugin (which requires WP 5.x)
  • the CP Directory shows version 2.3.6 for this plugin
  • the link provided leads to version 2.5.9, not 2.3.6
  • anyone on CP who installs this plugin will get a WSOD
  • it appears to be abandoned (at least for CP)

Tagging @wadestriebel for consideration.

2 Likes

Agreed :+1: thanks for the ping :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 26 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.