Is GoDaddy after WordPress?

What’s happening there?

Didn’t even know they acquired Sucuri.

3 Likes

That’s a very good question! I think it’s quite possible that GoDaddy might have its eyes on wordpress.com, whose SAAS product would fit well within the GoDaddy portfolio. This would also give Automattic more resources in its attempt to fight off Wix, Weeby, and Squarespace.

If that is where things are going, though, wordpress.org is headed for very difficult times indeed. Which will make the existence of ClassicPress as an alternative all the more important.

4 Likes

Which was my thought and now won’t so much be my concern, thanks to you guys!

2 Likes

Very good question - have GoDaddy (auto-incorrect tried to make that Godawful) got deep enough pockets for that? Because I don’t see matt saying “no” to a suitably large number…

Does anyone else get creeped out when a representative of the big corporation says ‘nothing will change’ for the users of the smaller group and service they just bought out?

4 Likes

Completely, because it’s never true.

2 Likes

I don’t get creeped out. I just don’t believe them.

4 Likes

Someone who isn’t a politician that has no problem with such a blatant lie doesn’t make you feel even a little uncomfortable? Like, “I hope I’m never stuck in the lift with them”?

2 Likes

Someone in a PR role is basically being paid to lie on behalf of the company.

3 Likes

Outside of GoDaddy commercials, I’ve never heard a single positive thing about the company, it’s practices, services, or support. This could well be a boon for ClassicPress.

6 Likes

I have nothing to add :wink:

3 Likes

One of those times when it gets it right…

3 Likes