Is that possible to use classicpress as platform like shopify?

Hello,

I know Classicpress is forked from Wordpress.

I found Shopify architecture is quite similar to a site of Classicpress or wordpress with MULTISITES.

So, is it possible to use Classicpress as a platform just like Shopify?

If yes, how to do it?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Have a nice day.

1 Like

It is possible.
Just create a multisite instance, then ClassicCommerce, the CC compat plugin and the woocommerce extension for multivendor shop.
Some other extensions according to your needs and done.
Keep in mind you will need a robust hosting.
I have never done something like that practically, but in theory that’s how it basically works.

1 Like

Hi

Thanks for reply.

What about if there are 100,000 merchant user account to cover several countries please?

I just suppose it should be deployed with clustered architect, right?

For high performance, how should we deploy the database and CC program please? Do we need setup database in different countries and sync the databases between them? Or do you suggest one database center to cover all of countries?

Or anywhere I can get these kind of knowledge online please?

Thanks for your instructions!

First of all, the more merchants the more robust architecture and the more space you need.
Then about clustered architecture & multiple databases it depends on the reason behind your separating countries.
I explain:
In a single CP install you can select the site locale (that also sets date and time and other pleasant amenities).
When you install ClassicCommerce (that is a WooCommerce fork) in a single install you have a wizard helping you to prepare the shop with all the settings. You can add the ClassicCommerce compatibility plugin to be able to use extensions plugins that are WooCommerce specific (the extensions will think that ClassicCommerce is WooCommerce).
Now…
When dealing with multisite you have a big container site and the ability to have subsites (with folder or subdomain structure).
What happens is you install all the plugins to the main superadmin site, and make available to the network the ones that you want users to use (there’s a plugin for that in WP plugins repo but can’t recall the name).
When one new user makes a new site, this new site will behave like it’s a single install, they get the option to use the plugins and themes that are available to the network and in case you allow for ClassicCommerce they can setup a store with specific settings according to country (language, taxes like vat, gdpr, other privacy laws, shipment and the like)
By default ClassicPress multisite just uses a single database for that.
Each site acts like a single indipendente site, with its specific settings and features based on what you make available.
You can also recreate that as a cluster of separate sites with a database each or grouped by country, but this really means more work keeping all of them aligned.
One thing to note is a multisite being a big giant mother site with babies is prone to attacks. If one of the sites gets breached, they are all compromised and that could be the reason to decide for a manual clustered setup of unlinked single sites.
However there are security plugins handling that very nicely like wordfence and shield so it is more a matter of having a reason to cluster it.
Consider one thing: WordPress.com is a giant multisite running I don’t know how many sites with different tiers (free and paid plans) and the paid plans offer options to build a store.
Basically you just need to replicate that.

Great thanks, I will study more.

1 Like

This doesn’t sound correct. Multisite is one set of software, with multiple databases, which is why each subsite has its own settings and content.

1 Like

Is it possible to use one CC program to cover all of countries? For example, us.mysite.com, uk.mysite.com…and a user can access all of these sub sites, that means user accounts are shared across whole my network.

What I am concerned, is what is architecture of site to achieve better performance or access speed in every local regions. For example, there are different sites in each country on Amazon, and every user account can access across country sites, but it will be much fast to access local Amazon site.

Maybe setup multiple database in every countries, and make these database are automatically synced?

Multisite very definitely uses just one database.

1 Like

My apologies. I said database when I meant tables.
Quoting from Create A Network – WordPress.org Documentation

A multisite network is a collection of sites that all share the same WordPress installation core files. They can also share plugins and themes. The individual sites in the network are virtual sites in the sense that they do not have their own directories on your server, although they do have separate directories for media uploads within the shared installation, and they do have separate tables in the database.

2 Likes

Using multisite for this only really makes sense if you expect to share logged-in users across the different subsites. It sounds like you don’t, so instead I’d recommend you set them up as regular, independent sites with their own subdomains.

As @timkaye mentions if you don’t need to share the users (that means they will have to register anew for every shop vs. having one account working for all the sites) it is better to go with separate sites, you will need to install ClassicPress and plugins/theme to every install of the network, that will have a clustered structure.
One other issue you mention is having a grouping of the shops by country.
That leads me to think you can adopt an hybrid structure by building a multisite for each country.
That would result in users (customers) of a site being able to have an account to access all the shops of a specific country but needing a new account to access another country shop.
This structure reassembles that of Amazon that has country divisions that contain country specific shops.
This also can allow for shop owners to sell to specific countries if they want, with the ability to localize their shop accordingly since they will own a shop in every country multisite they want.

2 Likes

Also, worth mentioning, multisites can be nested.
That means having a GIANT multisite that contains smaller multisites that can contain shops.
I know that because I once tried to build a social network site where users could open their own multisite inside the main multisite and for some obscure reason it did work.
It will need a very huge and robust hosting structure when it really starts getting used but it can totally work.

1 Like

Great thanks for joining this topic.

Although, it is not what I want. Because I believe there should not be border for B2C shop.

As to sharing user account, Please check this one plugin: GitHub - themarcusbattle/press-sync: The easiest way to synchronize posts, media, users and more between two WordPress sites.

And I think we can find a way to sync the users across the multisites in each countries if it is a reasonable method for a global commerce site. And the method should be trigger or auto cron by security api, but not by a plugin.

The most tough and real question is how we can use one multisite for all countries(like fr.oursite.com, uk.oursite.com, and improve the performance for every local market, it is enough by Cdn? Maybe not…what is the method then?

Another task is how to make a subsite support directory site so that users(shop owner) can register a site, so the shop owner sites will look like this way:

Fr.oursite.com/Nike
Uk.our site.com/tommy

I found this plugin works well although it is outdated:

I understand it is not easy, and the method by plugin is not an great performance, but the above plugins proved that it is possible if we custom develop based on Wordpress, maybe CC? Because I do not know what was changed from Wordpress to CC.

Anyway, I will keep looking for a right approach, and appreciated your sharing ideas, comments, suggestions, and even nagtive advice.

Thanks all, and happy on CC.

It’s still being updated. See GitHub - stuttter/wp-multi-network: A network management interface for global multisite administrators

Thanks.

I quote from GitHub:

Can I have separate domains?

Yes you can. That is what this plugin does best.

Do you know how to do it please?

You need to copy the first four lines that they provide you with into wp-config.php but change CURRENT_SITE to your own site.

Does that mapping multiple custom domains?

I have never used the plugin. I suggest you either try it or ask the developer.

1 Like

Extending WordPress or ClassicPress into a multi-user, multi-site platform like Shopify would be a very advanced project that only a handful of people in the world would be able to execute reasonably well. I would recommend starting by building some simpler sites first.

4 Likes

Is there any other wp fork projects aimed this direction?

By the way, why CC forked from Wordpress, but still keep the same way with Wordpress please?

Thanks