Is there a point where themes will break when viewed with CP?

Is there a point where themes will break when viewed with CP? For instance, can WordPress themes built with the block editor in mind work with CP? I’m using the latest GeneratePress with CP fine, however, a Newspack theme – which also uses the block editor – freezes when loading.

If the theme is built with the block editor in mind, that’s different than it being built with the block editor as a requirement. So, if the theme absolutely requires the block editor, no, it won’t work with ClassicPress.

As just a guess, it sounds like your version of GeneratePress is built with the block editor in mind, whereas your version of Newspack is probably built with the block editor as a requirement.

2 Likes

The sad thing with theme development as we know is that is changing rapidly.

More and more theme developers are upgrading their codebase to require Gutenberg exclusively which means many themes will become unusable without the block editor, unless you choose the theme you would like to use, fork it, and modify it based on your own needs.

I think lots of theme designers are actually thinking of giving up on WordPress because full site editing will largely render them redundant. For them, ClassicPress makes a natural home.

3 Likes

Let’s see how things will go.

I honestly would like to be given the opportunity to choose the back-end mechanisms I do not need to turn them off, much like we have discussed in Slack the other day.

The less noise the better, let alone the faster the website will be!

I just build a framework just magically calls functions if its using WordPress or ClassicPress, I just don’t have to deal with removing functionality for one CMS so it just supports both.

2 Likes