Is Yoast Toast?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.

I read recently that Joost de Valk has been appointed as Marketing & Communications Lead for Wordpress (read about it in his blog if you want). I know that Joost has always been a bit of a WP evangelist so we probably shouldn’t be surprised but this does seem to quash any hope that Yoast will support CP. There’s no doubt that Yoast SEO is a great product and for most of us, it’s one of the first plugins we install. So this does seem to leave a bit of a gaping hole, one which will be difficult to fill. In the past, I’ve tried other SEO plugins but they haven’t come anywhere near Yoast’s standard.

Just wondering what the thoughts are around here? Anyone any suggestions for an alternative? Anyone want to fork WP SEO? :grin:

4 Likes

Yes, reading that blog it does sound like he is well and truly on the WP bandwagon, so I wouldn’t be looking for Yoast to be supporting CP.

It does leave a big hole as it’s a popular SEO plugin and I don’t know of anything else that comes close. It should continue to work with CPv1 and this will have long term support, so there is still a reasonable life-span there. But maybe it’s something that needs to be considered in the longer term.

6 Likes

I have never liked Yoast’s SEO offering. I’ve long suspected that most of the options it gives you do nothing except give the user a false impression of being “in control.”

I much prefer The SEO Framework: https://wordpress.org/plugins/autodescription/ It’s simple, clear, and very easy to use.

9 Likes

I like that plugin, I just installed it and don’t think I will be going back to Yoast :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks good, but I will need to find an alternative to Yoast breadcrumbs.

{redacted}

EDIT: Ignore me, I am confusing stuff. Been a long day haha

1 Like

Justin Tadlock’s Breadcrumb Trail is the “smartest” one I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

Thanks I’ll check that out. My main issue is I rely on the hierarchy of pages within subcategory and category, which Yoast can do.

(using the plugin Post Tags and Categories for Pages)

This one is fairly new eh.

1 Like

I’ve just been thinking about plugins like Yoast, where they have a big market-share and seem to be the automatic No.1 pick. I imagine that the No.2, No.3 etc options would be quite interested in developing for CP, if we contacted them and said something like: “We don’t expect No.1 to be supporting CP, so how about you move in and get that market”.

People use Yoast because that’s become known as “the one to use”, but as Tim points out there are other options just as good/better. Should we pick one or two of those and make a concerted effort to ask that they consider working with CP?

5 Likes

I like that idea. Let’s remember to check the security history of whichever plugin(s) we approach - Yoast has a somewhat chequered record and it’d be nice to do better.

2 Likes

It just occurred to me that we are sort of going cap-in-hand to these people and saying: “please consider supporting CP”. Maybe we should be taking a line that’s more like: “Hey, this is a big opportunity and you might want to get in early.”

We are now compiling a list of CP-friendly options for “must-have” plugins, so developers could be encouraged to make a commitment to support CP, get their name down on that list and start picking up some new clients.

5 Likes

SEOPress is another good one. SEO Framework is good too.

2 Likes

+1 for SEOPress. That’s all I use.

Yoast has been bloated toast for a while now.

3 Likes

Do any of the above mentioned plugins handle scanning for keyword density, header usage, sentence length, passive voice, Flesch readability, paragraph length, or transition words?

1 Like

We should also mention GD SEO Toolbox Pro as an option (paid).

Milan has thrown himself into supporting CP with all his plugins.

2 Likes

Why should anything ever scan for passive voice? Even the grammatically incompetent Strunk & White didn’t suggest that it was impermissible.

1 Like

Passive voice is wishy-washy and lacks any kind of authority.

1 Like

Not necessarily. It depends entirely on the context. Sometimes passive voice provides more emphasis because it places the stress on the agent.

Studies of top novelists have shown that they use passive voice around 25% of the time.

3 Likes

Yes, exactly. And without a scan for same, you have no way of knowing what your percentage is. I aim for 5% or less.

1 Like