Landing Pages for Theme & Plugin Developers

From an action item that developed during the Feb 7 marketing meeting:

• @james and @norske to create landing pages for plugin and theme developers so that we can start approaching them in a more formal way to invite them to support ClassicPress: @BlueSkyPhoenix can assist

Once landing pages are built, marketing can begin to approach theme & plugin developers

3 Likes

@norske and @james, what are our next steps here? How can others assist?

2 Likes

@norske has put the first of these landing pages up as a draft page on our main site. It needs copy revision and then it needs to be added to the siteā€™s menus (we had previously discussed putting it under ā€œResourcesā€ for now).

2 Likes

Thank you! Iā€™ll take a look at it and make any needed changes.

2 Likes

@norske this looks great. Iā€™ve made just minor changes for flow. Do you want to have a last look, or are you ready for me to publish it?

2 Likes

Please publish it any time if you feel itā€™s production-ready. I donā€™t see any major bugs in markup for now and wording is yours. I completely trust your opinion here)

3 Likes

This has been added. Iā€™ll send out a tweet about this as well. Thanks for your work on this! Let me know when youā€™re ready to have me review the landing page for theme developers.

4 Likes

I think ā€œIncrease your plugin audience with ClassicPress developersā€ is a bit long for a page title, menu entry, and URL slug. Hereā€™s a screenshot of the menu entry:

Can we change this to ā€œClassicPress for Plugin Developersā€ instead?

1 Like

I hadnā€™t even noticed thatā€¦ Could it not be shortened to just ā€œPlugin/Theme Developersā€? The extraordinary length of the text makes it seem unconsidered. The page, on the other hand, is a palatable jumping-in point for curious developers. Thanks for putting this together! :+1:

3 Likes

Isnā€™t that page only about plugins? What about ā€œOpportunities for plugin developersā€.

2 Likes

I would probably do it like this:

• ā€œResources > For Plugin Developersā€ in the menu entry
  • www.classicpress.net/for-plugin-developers/ in the URL
  • ā€œClassicPress for Plugin Developersā€ in the page title

I think the ā€œForā€ is important, there is a difference in how ā€œResources > Plugin Developersā€ sounds vs ā€œResources > For Plugin Developersā€. classicpress.net/for-plugin-developers also flows pretty nicely.

Then the idea is to have other pages later on. ā€œFor Theme Developersā€, maybe ā€œFor Hosting Providersā€, etc.

I think this initiative is a great starting point to help specific audiences get oriented to ClassicPress. Iā€™ve noticed that people often donā€™t know where to start looking at first, so this will provide a good initial overview focused on specific interests, with some links for further investigation.

2 Likes

These changes have been made. Thanks for your feedback.

1 Like

What about increasing the width of the submenu from 150px?

.navā€“toggle-sub ul ul {
width: 180px;
}

(in css/autoptimize.css line 38?)

That makes all sub-menu items on one line. I donā€™t think it upsets anything else.

3 Likes

Note: Thatā€™s a double dash there on the selector .nav--toggle-sub ul ul just in case anyone is testing the code :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good idea. I bumped this up to 180px. This is enough for everything to fit on one line for me, and we shouldnā€™t make it much wider or these could start to run off the screen at some resolutions / zoom levels:

1 Like

Picking up on this again ā€“ @norske and @james ā€“ are we going to create a separate page for Theme Developers? Given the latest developments with WP, it might be a good idea to do that now.

2 Likes

You would need to have something to say, though.

@joyously your message reads to me as ā€œWhy are you thinking about building a theme developers page if you have nothing to say to them?ā€ I cannot come up with any reading of this message that qualifies as being part of a solution rather than a problem.

The ā€œseedā€ for the content of a theme developers page would be that weā€™ve kept the classic theme system alive because it is powerful, versatile, and predictable.

4 Likes

Well it made you think of what to say, didnā€™t it? So itā€™s part of the solution. You canā€™t have flowers without a little rain.
But a page that just says that the theme system hasnā€™t changed is not as helpful as having docs about how to build themes, or a roadmap of CPs intent of a theme directory, or some link to a statistics page of how many sites use CP (or just download counter).

1 Like

I think thatā€™s a great idea! Would you like to help create those documents?

Iā€™ll defer to @james on both of these points. I know the statistics/download counter issue has been discussed at some length here previously.

3 Likes