LATEST migration plugin?

OK, I’m getting ready (this afternoon) to migrate my main production site to CLASSICPRESS… is the MOST CURRENT version of the migration plugin still at BETA, or will you (soon) be posting the first RC? IF the RC is imminent, I will wait, but I’m truly hoping to migrate TODAY, before WP 5.0 hits… also, what’s a direct link to whatever your latest migration plugin is? Thanks!

The beta plugin worked well for me but there is no panic to switch. You can add the following to your wp-config.php file and it will not update to 5.0

define( ‘WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE’, false );

In light of the upcoming WP release, we are going to start promoting our current beta as a stable option. We’ve had enough testing already to be confident in this (thanks for your part here!) and the reality is that our beta version is very stable.

ClassicPress 1.0.0 RC1 and final are still coming as soon as possible, but we probably need approximately another month to get everything nailed down.

The main remaining tasks for the final release are around finishing the WordPress → ClassicPress rebranding, and ClassicPress translations infrastructure. These are not critical for the operation of existing sites, and when the RC1 and final versions are available you will be prompted to update to them.

1 Like

Super. Will let you know later tonight how it goes

James are there any changes to the migration process since I last used it a few weeks ago?

The latest version of the migration plugin (0.3.0) was released on GitHub 9 days ago: Releases · ClassicPress/ClassicPress-Migration-Plugin · GitHub

The biggest change is that it upgrades to the ClassicPress beta version, which can keep itself up to date with future releases of ClassicPress.

For newly migrated sites, use this latest version of the migration plugin. It’s also worth checking every few days on that link above to see if there is a new version of the plugin out.

For existing sites, just make sure you are running a version of ClassicPress that says 1.0.0-beta1 somewhere in the version string, and you are good to go.

Do you have a direct download link to the plugin? If I’m going to switch over several more sites tonight, that makes it alot easier.

Okay. I think I found it.

1 Like

I’d recommend that you get the direct download link from the GitHub releases page and save it:

We are trying to keep the direct download link in as few places as possible, since it will become outdated later. Otherwise, for example, people will read this thread and accidentally use an outdated version of the plugin.

Ideally, you want one plugin “to rule them all” (Highlander or Lord of the Rings, not sure who got it first) that just auto-updates and takes that issue away. I’m sure you already know that.

One other thing that just occurred to me would be a CP newsletter for users that lists all important news, downloads, and so on.

We do have a newsletter where we announce news and downloads! See: https://www.classicpress.net/newsletter/

You can also bookmark this link: How to Install ClassicPress CMS | Download ClassicPress This page will stay updated with the latest versions of the core software, the migration plugin, and links to installation instructions, etc.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.