Logo Storage

I’m fine with this too. ClassicPress Brand Guidelines | ClassicPress seems the right place for them to live publicly and Github works for me in terms of storage.

Agree. Perhaps a separate repo would be less daunting for those less experienced in Github (and I include myself in that last statement)?

I’d be happy to pick this one up if @james and @BlueSkyPhoenix are OK with this? Given that it’s mostly my comments that are being quoted (i.e. it’s me that started it :slightly_smiling_face: ), it seems only fair that I take responsibility for sorting it. Likewise, if you’ve other ideas, that’s fine too.

This make sense to me. As James says, the .svg is an editable file which can be opened by Illustrator (or even a text editor). So once the .svg is out in the wild, any control is lost.

My only question about this is: clearly the .ai file would remain the master copy and the file that needs to be updated and approved etc. Would the same process also apply to any files (.svg, .png, etc.) generated from the .ai?

3 Likes

Sure, but they will do even worst without the source file :sweat_smile:
So I’m for the unrestricted access to every file.

4 Likes

+1, it is the best solution from the UX perspective.

4 Likes

Github is great for managing SVG since the code is XMl based it keeps track of changes within that code not just the image as a whole.

I have a collection of logo icons on GitHub and script to convert all the SVG into PNG, black and white versions.

You can easily link to what ever you need for users to download.

4 Likes

Yes, please :slight_smile: I will drop some more information about how I envision the page working on that GitHub issue.

We (edit: more specifically the design team) should be reviewing each change to the logo files, and this should be something that happens very infrequently. I think this addresses most concerns with distributing the .ai files.

Let’s back up and take a second to better define the purpose(s) for this storage system. I think there are two:

• Public users should be able to download our official assets from an official place with an official URL that we host ourselves. We’ve basically all agreed that this should be the brand guidelines page, which means the files need a clean way to get onto our web server for hosting.
  • ClassicPress team leads should be able to reference our official assets and work with the design team to update them when needed (infrequently), with the ability to track changes and access historical versions if needed. Bonus points for being free.

To me, this points pretty clearly towards storing the files in GitHub.

Related…

I think this is probably the best path. It will take a bit of configuration to get this into the right place on our web server but that is not too hard. This has the advantage that the file structure and history would be publicly viewable (currently our site files are private, I’d like for us to open-source it one day but there are some parts that would need to be audited first).

Another thing we will need is a list of places the logo is used in an official capacity. Changing our logo is always going to be a painful process but this will help a bit. The list can probably live in the same repository and I can help put together something for the core code.

@wadestriebel @BlueSkyPhoenix Please correct me if I am wrong here, but collaborating on design assets as they are developed is a separate problem, where some kind of cloud storage drive makes more sense than GitHub. However once an asset is finalized and agreed upon, and we agree that it’s something critical like our logos, it needs a more permanent and robust storage system.

5 Likes

I completely agree with what’s been presented here – what’s the next step?

5 Likes

I suppose the first step was creating the GitHub repository for these files, which I’ve just done: GitHub - ClassicPress/ClassicPress-Design: Repository for official versions of logos, logomarks, and other brand assets.

Unfortunately that is the easy part :wink: The next step would be to name the files according to the naming convention we agreed upon earlier this year and put them into the repository, then generate/replace .png and .svg versions. The SVG images should be web-ready, with a minimum of extraneous attributes added by Illustrator et al.

I can help with questions about how to get this organized, and unblock specific steps where needed, but some things will need to wait for Michelle’s input.

Again a lot more detail on Improvements to Brand Guidelines page · Issue #3 · ClassicPress/site-www · GitHub, fair warning, this issue starts to get into a lot more than just logo storage.

4 Likes

So, am I right in thinking that the new names would be as follows ?

Original New
feather-gradient.svg classicpress-logo-feather-gradient-on-transparent.svg
feather-white.svg classicpress-logo-feather-white-on-transparent.svg
icon-gradient-600.png classicpress-logo-coin-gradient-on-transparent-600x600.png
icon-gradient.svg classicpress-logo-coin-gradient-on-transparent.svg
icon-white.svg classicpress-logo-coin-white-on-transparent.svg
logo-gradient.svg classicpress-logo-wordmark-gradient-on-transparent.svg
logo-white.svg classicpress-logo-wordmark-white-on-transparent.svg

Regarding the repo, What do you think about creating a logo subfolder to help keep things organised for when other non-logo assets are added at some point in the future?

5 Likes

I like the idea of using a logo subfolder, would be nice to eventually add all marketing assets in one place :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have gone ahead and started something,
https://github.com/mathewcallaghan/ClassicPress-Design
The SVG files are optimised a bit smaller than the currently available versions.
This is all I have time for at the moment.

4 Likes

I’ve tried classicpress-feather-gradient.svg from mathewcallaghan/ClassicPress-Design but the path is already opened.

I’m totally unfamiliar with autometed tests, but if anyone can write it, it’s easy to check for this kind of problem in SVG files. Every path must end with Z (or z), that means closepath.

Simone.

1 Like

Isn’t that for strokes?

1 Like

@1stepforward new filenames are 100% correct (generally the best kind of correct).

I like @matthewcallaghan’s proposed repository structure, but it is missing the updated file naming convention, and the generated images should be based on the latest version of our logos from the previous thread. The GIMP color palette is a nice addition, and it is a good idea to use open-source, plain-text formats as much as possible.

We should remove the png and svg subdirectories and decrease the number of PNG image sizes, for now let’s go with just 600px and 1200px. I would rather see all the logo files together in all formats, and if we get more than about 15 entries in a folder then we should look at reorganizing beyond just Logos and Palettes.

So here are a few next steps…

• I have downloaded all of the latest round of .ai files, I can put them up on GitHub but it won’t be today.
  • @BlueSkyPhoenix have you looked at all the changes from the latest round of .ai files and verified the logos are still correct according to our brand guidelines, no other obvious errors etc.?
  • Once the .ai files are verified to be good, we will recognize them as the current “official” version of the logos.
  • We can then update all the .svg and .png files in a separate step. This will avoid any issues with using outdated files.

As always there is much more to be done after/alongside that, but I think that is all for the specific topic of “Logo Storage”. Other parts of this project probably deserve their own threads…

3 Likes

Okay I will leave it to you @james

2 Likes

Would we want to add .eps files too?

Then there would be 5 files per variation: .ai, .eps, .svg, -600x[w].png and -1200x[w].png.

30 files in total. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Please do add .eps files. It’s what most of the designers I know work with.

5 Likes

I’ll download all of the .ai and take a look; I won’t be able to get to it until this evening.
I agree that .eps files are a good thing to include.

I’ll get back to you. Thanks!

2 Likes

@james and @1stepforward these all look good to me. There are two logos I have a question on:

logo-white.ai and logo-white-outlines.ai appear to be the same, essentially (short of difference in the artboard). Is that the case?

3 Likes

Yes, that’s correct. I’ve ignored the outlines file so far because of that reason.

3 Likes

Please take a look at the following PR to rename a few of the logo files, and leave your comments there:

3 Likes