Inspired by this other petition. The Comments admin menu item could have submenu items for each context that has commentability. When inactive, the menu would show:
…and hovering or clicking reveals…
Comments (21) Posts (8) Pages (7) This CPT That CPT (4) Some CPT Other CPT (2) ...
…and each item would lead off to its corresponding comments admin page…
- the current Comments item, slug, and position remain the same
- all comments have a central, organized, point of management
- existing top-level alert bubble can be repurposed to tally all comments
- no risk of missing pending comments buried in arbitrary submenus
- contextual submenus/totals improve UX
- low learning curve; self-explanatory at-a-glance
- no dashboard clutter involved
A standalone plugin as a PoC would be a good start.
Will you be able to help with the implementation?
I can handle the standalone part. Can someone else handle the core part?