Managing languages

I would like to see CP to have a “upload language pack” as it has for plugin and themes. This function has been missing on Wp and it could really help accessibility.
I guess that most of the WP website are not in english, yet to change the language of a plugin (on the frontend) is a mess of uploading po file in different location and so on.
I would also like the choice to have the back in english and the front end in another language.

This is something that is possible from WP and also CP in Settings->General where you can choose the language of the website.
Instead if you want change the language only for the user that manage wordpress it is possible to do change it from the User page inside the wordpress administration.

I think a petition for this would be great! :slight_smile:

Thanks man
changing the language… OK.
I know that you can change the language for a single - registred - user, but can you make the default for all visitors?

then there is the point of having the plugins and themes translated. If you have a lot of client who don’t want an interface in english , it a PITA to translate, upload and so on… or better i was not able to do it in a good way, up to now.

You can configure in WordPress the global language in Settings->General of the website for the frontend and backend.
Later every user can change that to use in the WP administration the language they want changing that value in their profile, so it is already avalaible.

i think I m missing something and i am not able to express.
we are on the accessibility forum. so we speak about accessibility issues.

If i want the backend in english. and i set it from setting > general the front end (button and user dashboard) will be in english.

Yes a REGISTRED user can change it in french / german / italian - but this is a accessibility issue by itself, since i expect most of my visitors to be german and they expect a front end UI in german.

So far the only plugin i know doing it is: Plugins Language Switcher – WordPress plugin | WordPress.org

but maybe i m misssing something. Am i ?

Then is the “make my life easier” issue.
there are the plugins / themes missing the correct .po files…
i ve to upload it via ftp. but sometime i ve no access to FTP if i m doing a work for a client.

Since Classicpress wants to get the “business users” niche. i think being able to upload .po files would be a nice add.

WordPress automatically download and install the po files avoiding to manual do it, to improve also the accesibility and simplify.
This plugin that you mentioned is very old (last release 4 years ago) and do something that is already available in wordpress as I said.
In few words reimplement something that already wordpress has.

In Settings->General:

In that way my website is in italian on backend and frontend of WordPress like this plugin do.

From the profile page you can change the language that your user want on wordpress backend.

Sorry for the screenshot in Italian but just to let you understand that you can do it automatically since different years in wordpress without use any plugin :slight_smile:

WordPress since 3~ years enable to download the languages of plugins/themes and itself automatically but also choose a different language based on the needs, that is the way the multilanguage plugins use.

Daniele,
allora non mi so espriemere bene:

siamo su un form di Accessibilità e quindi parlo con questo frame.

io voglio il backend in inglese.
e il front end PER TUTTI in Italiano, quindi i bottoni, il read more etc etc
Non mi interessa che le persone si registrano… quando mai un sito vetrina business ha le persone che si registrano?

i plugin non sempre sono in italiano anche quando hanno il file .po e spesso devi usare l FTP per caricare i file sa la madonna dove…
in maniera non standard tra l’altro.

Avere dei pezzi di pagina (sempre front end) in inglese NON è accessibile e dover usare l’FTP quando magari non ho accesso all’FTP è scomodo - converrai con me -

dato che stiamo parlando di accessibilità e dato che Classicpress si vuole porre come servizio per il business QUESTO è un problema da affrontare e risolvere.

sono più chiaro

Ps sorry for using italian, but i m simply translating what i already wrote in italian , since i was not able to express that in english

Ciao Rotello, non é un problema parlare in italiano :slight_smile: Abbiamo la sezione apposita nel forum.
Piú che accessibilità qui si parla di internalizzazione quindi meglio spostare il focus li.

Quello che chiedi è un sistema per caricare file po/mo (perché wordpress non può generare di suo il formato mo che è quello che utilizza) di plugin manualmente e non quello di poter cambiare la lingua del backend.

I file di lingua in wordpress vanno nella cartella /wp-content/languages seguendo un nome specifico per il file, il punto è che ci possono essere dei problemi con questa procedura, eccoli:

• Il plugin/tema riceve la traduzione in italiano quindi wp lo scarica in automatico e sovrascrive il file
  • Il plugin si aggiorna e il file non funziona piú perché non allineato con le modifiche (succede spesso)
  • Il nome del file è sbagliato e non viene letto
  • Il plugin ha i file di lingua tra i suoi file e si creano dei conflitti tra chi deve dare priorità il sistema al caricamento

Per questo motivo WP ha un sistema automatico per le traduzioni, tramite translate.wordpress.org si traducono i plugin che sono revisionati ed in automatico la traduzione è centralizzata e il file scaricato in automatico su tutti i siti.
Concordo che con i plugin premium può essere un problema perché potrebbero non avere una centralizzazione ma di solito hanno una cartella languages dove ci sono i vari po e basta contattarli per passargli il file.
Perché non si possono mettere i file propri dentro quella cartella del plugin perché WP all’aggiornamento cancella tutta la cartella e anche i file modificati o aggiunti.

Di solito io gestisco questi problemi come ho scritto qui anche per i miei clienti, come tanti altri che si occupano delle traduzioni di plugin specifici per i propri clienti. Ad oggi questa è la soluzione piú sicura a lungo termine che ti permette di stare tranquillo.

Io preferirei evitare un sistema manuale per caricare file po perché si stravolge il flusso di wordpress e si possono creare dei problemi. Certo caricare i file po in quella cartella permette di risolvere il problema immediatamente ma solo a breve termine perché basta che saltano i riferimenti e le traduzioni diventano inutili e basta un aggiornamento per ristare daccapo.