A lot of people use bigger screens, I’m one of them. One of the problems I’ve always had with the editor is the width. On my screen, the editor width is at least a foot wide. It makes writing a bit hard when lines are so long. So my petition is to add an option to control editor width in the settings and set a default width using media queries for larger screens. Feedback is welcome. Maybe I’m the only one with that problem.
Here’s what I think would work:
- By default, larger screens would get their editor max-width set to 50%. This might be achieved using the editor-style.css or something else.
- The default setting can be changed by the user under Settings > Writing. They can simply specify their desired width.
- Add a filter to allow developers to override or set their own editor width.
- Optional: Allow individual users to specify their own width in the user profile.
- Optional: Add a screen option (or maybe a toggle somewhere else) on the edit page to disable editor max-width and stretch content to full width.
Here’s a mock-up of what that might look like. It includes a side border indicating where the editor ends:
And the Writing settings mockup: