Photocrati - where to go for help now?

I shouldn’t have used WP. I’m one of those people who has a personal web site, knows very little about code and has struggled to set everything up. However… I love my site and I’m quite proud of how much I’ve done. I moved to CP on a gut feeling, but I’m confused about where to go for help. It’s a very minor thing I want to change in a Photocrati theme (because I’m picky), but they won’t help with non-standard changes. I’ve never used the WP help forums before, but they do seem to offer advice for the CSS I need. (I have added a fair bit of custom CSS already, but it’s been hit and miss and I just can’t find what I need for this change). I don’t think I can ask WP any more though because I’m now with CP. I changed from one Photocrati theme to another similar one over Christmas, but I hate the black appearing at the top and bottom. Is there anywhere to ask now, or am I stuck with it? Sorry for asking such a dumb question - I did say I should never have gone down this route :slightly_smiling_face:

They are in your cached style sheet:

/* Custom CSS Code
-------------------------------------------------------------- */
#header {border-top: 25px solid black;}

#sidebar {
border-left: 1px solid #eeeeee;
}

.footer_wrapper {border-top: 4px solid #CCCCCC;border-bottom:25px solid black;}
/* desktop only CSS adjustments that override custom CSS
-------------------------------------------------------------- */

You can just remove them from your file.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m really not having a good day today. You just restored my faith in humanity. I looked at the source code, but in my case a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I have a zoo to look after now, but I’ll make the changes later :grinning:

This forum is definitely the right place to get help :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Changes made (and I’ve learned a bit more in the process) :grinning:

2 Likes

Good to hear it’s fixed Zooey. One thing I really like about CP is getting back to a small, friendly community. WordPress has become a huge, commercial juggernaut and it’s now very impersonal. I’m sure there are friendly, helpful people in the WP community too, but they get swamped by all those trying to sell you something.

If you have any more questions just ask here and I’m sure you’ll get some help.

We all learn something new every day :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for asking, and thanks everyone for helping out!

I just wanted to add a note that if you are editing the main version of your theme (not a child theme), and the developer releases a new version later, then you should not update to the new version because your changes would be lost.

1 Like

Yeah, didn’t want to confuse the issue further by talking about child themes.
Chances are Zooey has yet to discover them :wink:

1 Like

No… I’ve already read about Genesis and child themes, but don’t wish to go down that route. I make my changes in the CSS area rather than downloading the files, making alterations and then uploading again. I assume that will continue to override the style sheet, but it’s all copied anyway in OneNote.

I don’t know what the future holds in either camp, but I am much happier here. I’d been reading blog posts about the introduction of Gutenberg and couldn’t understand why it was being pushed through. (Well… perhaps I do. The knowledgeable people like yourselves don’t bring in the money. I’m a bit odd in that respect because I’m the registrar of my domain and hunted around for a web hosting company. I wasn’t the sort of customer WP was aiming for either) :wink:

1 Like

Sorry to slightly derail the conversation a bit, but can I just compliment your photography, it’s really good!

Now for the other (more important) thing I noticed did you consider removing the /wordpress from your url? And if so, do you need help doing it?

@Zooey

1 Like

That’s very kind and thank you.

I did look at changing wordpress in the url a couple of weeks ago. The biggest problem seemed to be nearly 900 images tied up in NextGen galleries and with links in the blog posts. I literally have just 16 items in the media library. I couldn’t see any solution without it all ending badly, so I decided I had to live with it. If there is something I’m missing, then I would still be interested :slight_smile:

Sorry for the late reply @Zooey, Busy weekend. Yeah, there is some awkwardness with the NextGen gallery. You can try changing the Site URL without changing the ClassicPress URL. If that works, great, if it doesn’t you can change it back without much problem.

Don’t forget to resave the permalinks in the settings, that often solves a lot of minor bugs.

If things do go wrong, there are some database tricks you can do to get NextGen on board, but that might be to advanced?

You don’t have to apologise - you’ve been very helpful already.

The biggest worry would be some links working and not others, meaning I would have to go through the whole site to check (and this wouldn’t be the first time). I’ve built my own databases before and they worked well, only my husband (who is an expert in all things logical) says he wouldn’t have done it that way. Once again, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I’m inclined to leave things alone, at least for the moment :smiley:

1 Like

That is a very smart decision. I can talk of course, but I don’t know the exact details of your site and can make no guarentees without looking in myself.

The only thing I can advise is: If you ever make the try, make a back-up first, so that you can easily switch back if it doesn’t work out. A lot of hosters do this for you as well, but I’d inform this with yours first before asuming.

Cheers! I back up with BackupBuddy after every blog post or uploading any images :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @zooey. I can think of 2 things you could investigate. The first is to run an sql command to go through the database tables and swap every instance of mysite/wordpress for mysite. That is descibed here: How to Mass Change old URLs in Website Database after Migration

Another option might be to use a line in .htaccess that redirects the traffic… you’d need something like:

> # This will redirect a subdomain to the main domain
>  RewriteEngine On
>  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^yoursubdomain\.yourdomain\.com$ [NC]
>  RewriteRule ^(.*) http://www.yourdomain.com/$1 [L,R=301]

You will need to test that… it’s just a snippet I found online.

2 Likes

I did have a database plugin a while ago. I may revive it and take a look. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I’m sure there’s a plugin that will do that too.

If you do go ahead, it would be a good idea to set up the .htaccess redirect anyway, so anyone who has bookmarked your site won’t get a 404.

2 Likes

If you chose @ozfiddler 's option. I can recommend Better Search Replace. We always use that when moving a domain.

Also, if you do replace all the database strings of mysite/wordpress to mysite, be sure to also move the files out of the wordpress folder, or that might cause issues.

1 Like