Recommended security plugin for ClassicPress

It is indeed very competitively priced. I guess I’m not understanding the point of offering a 10 licence option for the same price as 10 x 1 single licences.

3 Likes

I agree. That does seem a bit silly. Typically, price per license decreases the more licenses you buy. And it also looks like prices are about to increase according to the website Shield Security Pro Pricing | Shield Security :neutral_face:

Incidentally, BulletProof Security Pro is a one-off $70 for unlimited sites.

2 Likes

That’s a good point.

Agreed and interesting with Bullet Proof.

I’ve been hoping for bulk discount for a while, even if it’s small. Fingers crossed that will be part of the new pricing.

2 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Issue with Shield Security and site response times

Just replying to the questions about pricing.

So if we priced Shield Pro at $99/site, then it’s easy to offer bulk licensing so that say, if you’re buying 20, 30, 50 sites, you could see the per site price drop to around $5-15.

So we thought, rather than ask admins to pay $hundreds to get a license at a bulk price, we’d offer bulk pricing from the outset, starting with just 1 license- $12.

That way it’s accessible to everyone, no matter their budget, or how many sites they wanted to upgrade. Even if you manage sites for many clients, they typically pay a fee for that service, and asking for $1/month from each client is tiny in comparison to other website costs.

Or so we thought.

In reality, the model was too radical, it seems. It didn’t follow the common model of: charge large for 1, and give a discount with more.

Our model doesn’t trigger the psychological boost that a customer gets when they feel they’re getting a bargain if they “buy more”, because we gave the bargain up front :slight_smile:

So, we tried our “radical” model, it worked well, but not enough to grow a sustainable business from, however. So we’re moving to a model that most admins understand and can work with immediately.

Hope that makes sense and gives some insight into why we’re doing what we’re doing.

Cheers!
Paul.

5 Likes

There’s a good book on pricing I highly recommend called Impactful Pricing. It talks about various pricing strategies, pricing psychology, and other helpful information.

For example, one popular strategy that’s effective and many businesses use is “good, better, and best” pricing. That’s where you have 3 different products or plans that adds more than three previous one, so the price is higher. You also want to highlight one of them as popular or recommend or something to help people decide. The book provides a lot of info on why it works psychologically.

There’s also market expectations. We’ve gotten used to paying for licensing per year and for multiple websites, especially popular “unlimited” plans. Those are good for agencies/developers. iThemes Security does that, with huge sales so you rarely have to pay full price. That type of discounting works well, incentivizes users to buy during that sale period.

3 Likes

Absolutely, @viktor. The pricing psychology plays a huge role, which is why we need to change the current model. We tried a different approach, but it didn’t pan out as we’d hoped. But it’s set a great foundation going forward and we’re excited about what we can achieve for WordPress security.

Cheers! :slight_smile:
Paul.

3 Likes

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Yes, I see this quite often too. You need that ticking clock with “Sale ends in 2 days 3 hours and 21 seconds”. Then it resets at 0 to start again. :wink:

I’m afraid I’m guilty of this. The asking price for a single unit sets in your mind an idea of the “worth” of the product. And you naturally expect a discount on this amount for bulk orders.

Your product is worth much more than $12 a year. I think dollar plugins should be a dollar a week, not a dollar a month. :wink:

1 Like

Dologin Security plugin for wordpress will also support ClassicPress.

5 Likes

Welcome @wpdo and good to hear Dologin would be supporting CP, any link to confirm the statement or are you the dev!

1 Like

wordpress/plugins/dologin/

When I paste the whole link, it shows Sorry, you can't include links in your posts.

1 Like

Ps: The reason it didn’t work is because your account is new, if you stick around and gain some trust levels you will be allowed to post links.

1 Like

As @klein stated, It’s because you are new, stick around and you’ll be able to do that.

Thanks for posting the link klein

1 Like

Just to thank @Paul for shield plugin.
Decided to go pro.
In the very first scan it warned me of a vulnerability in a plugin.
I am setting up my site to represent my business and having shield guarding my back is a relief.

6 Likes

Thank you so much for your support through your purchase @ElisabettaCarrara ! We’re delighted that it’s working well for you so soon and providing that reassurance :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I loved Bullet Proof Security (free version) until I did the scan: it marked all WP files as suspicious (as does WordFence). What do you do about this, @robf? I’m not a developer, just a user and can handle BPS up till a certain level. Thanks in advance.

Hi @YvUserCP ,

I’ve only ever used the pro version of BPS as the lifetime unlimited sites price is very good value, and have never had an issue with it blocking files. Having said that, there are a lot of configuration options (and documentation) so it can take some tweaking.

You may need to set it to whitelist some folders, not sure how that’s done in the free version.

Try their forums. The developer is usually pretty responsive and was supportive of using it with classicpress last time I needed to ask.

All the best,

Rob

1 Like