Remove directory links from public view till it is fixed?

I love your optimism. :wink:

Yes. The whole directory is grey on grey.

No, that has been fixed now.

1 Like

Cool.

I love your optimism.

I know it is a hilarious and unrealistic optimism - but yet, its the only way to move on IMO. We need to believe that things will move fast, and to the best, in the parts it has to. If we do not believe that, we can as well stop even trying, it’s like the difference between believing to be sick, or healthy :wink:

No, that has been fixed now.

I still can’t find your plugin or user in the dir.
Are you in touch with Wade for this? I do hope this is just a exception, and not a repeating issue. If it is, it needs even more (urgent) attention.

that said, we likely should gather devs that have laravel experience so they can help Wade. He is alone in this task. That is not to underestimate. The pressure and the time invested in it is huge.

@anon66243189 what I mean about scroll up/down is:

I am on page, I visualize plugins, I scroll to last row and reach page bottom, then I click the pagination to go next page, the page changes but remains on the bottom, so I need to scroll up to see all rows of plugins listed there. And then when I am done I need to scroll down again to click next page on the pagination.
I use Vivaldi browser.
Can this be set in a way that clicking the next page brings you to the top of the page where the first row of plugins is? And can we have a top pagination and a bottom one? I mean, if it was CP I know it was possible. But it’s Laravel and I don’t know if such things are feasible with it.
About the CSS I guess this aspect was left to be dealt with when it was really ready to be implemented in core… Thanks for clarifying that it has indeed an highlight.

About the addition of beta to links, we should have a way to tell people that this is a beta. First round of issues like plugins to be checked/removed is going to be solved in 2/3 weeks time, but this doesn’t make it ready for implementation. It will stay as a beta needing test and feedback until it gets implemented IMHO, so it makes sense to state it is a beta. But it’s only the way I see it.

I will post my feedback on GitHub within tomorrow so it stays in a central place.

About plugin review, I am no dev and I can barely understand PHP, a little better I do with css and html. So I am to little use in that regard. I can however compile a list of plugins based on where they go/what they do when I click download link.
And I can test to see if they work on a fresh CP install.
One that does not work is the elementor experimental fork…

You must use a tiny screen?
As said there is nothing to scroll on my screen. Can you elaborate on what screen you see this?
Mobile?

I will post my feedback on GitHub within tomorrow so it stays in a central place.

great!

About plugin review, I am no dev and I can barely understand PHP, a little better I do with css and html. So I am to little use in that regard. I can however compile a list of plugins based on where they go/what they do when I click download link.
And I can test to see if they work on a fresh CP install.
One that does not work is the elementor experimental fork…

Perfect!!
Know that a “tiny” (or not so tiny?) help is still a help.
For example you can see if the plugin is called “classicpress thing”. That infringes our brandmark. It should be “thing for classicpress”.
These things do not need DEV experience to see. Or, as you state, test where the link goes, or maybe you see that the plugin is only tested up to WP 3.x, or you see that a plugin does not work at all… those things are helpful. As long they are reported in an organised manner (like one git tick each issue or even a simple google table) someone can act on it.

About not being dev… I personally for example, I am a boatbuilder, a bricklayer, and I bought my first computer in 2008. I entered a support team in 2014, because I know 5 languages. I did not even know how to echo a string in PHP. Today, I am confident to write a plugin in PHP for WP or CP. Yet, I did not achieve this magically. It was a process, which starts with “do what you can” and “ask, never be afraid to ask”, and then followed by “I want to learn”.

So… I guess you know what I try to say :smiley:

PS this is the table I started to review Plugins/Devs on the dir:

So, if we get a list looking similar to that, with a column explaining what is wrong, this already saves hours and hours of work
Also - a DEV often does not see what a User does see. For a DEV the pagination which is not showing current page is a “non-issue” very often. They are concerned with the amazing query they wrote to make it work. Yet a user doesnt care about that query, they care that it shows what they search for and that they understand it. So if both work hand in hand, then great products are made.

Laptop, if I am not mistaken it’s a 15"… How wide is the screen you are using? And I must say I need 100% zoom or higher just because I wear glasses. I never go under 100%.

I agree on the learning curve…

And if just testing such details with plugins is enough I will do my best to do a readable and organized table out of it so that someone can use it to work on the directory. I may have some hours this week so it’s definitely something I can do.

I’m experiencing the same, using a regular-sized laptop… i think its width is 1366 px…

:innocent:

We Christians call that faith. I too am firmly believing that CP will succeed.

1 Like

I also noticed Elisabetta’s issue. The problem seems to be that the pagination doesn’t do a proper page load - it uses Ajax to update the DOM. This is wrong in my view since none of the usual browser cues are shown to indicate that something new is loading (cursor change, loading indicator on the tab, text change on the tab, new page is scrolled to top position, etc). I do wish people would let websites be websites instead of trying to be desktop apps…

And yes, the dark grey / slightly darker grey pagination colours are seriously inaccessible!

EDIT: I also suspect (though can’t confirm) that Ajax replacement of a portion of the DOM, instead of just loading a new page, will probably play havoc with screen reading software.

3 Likes

Shouldn’t it be simple enough to add a scroll to top when Ajax is done?

I still can’t see the issue on a 15 inch screen but given many can I guess it’s an issue

If we ticket it then dev can look at this I guess?

2 Likes

Yes, it is an easy fix. We just need to reset the screen scroll, which is a 1 liner. I will see if I have time to at the very least get that deployed today.

This has been flagged before though: Pagination doesn't take you to top of page

My experience has been the same.

Some people will just “push through” these issues until they get their plugins submitted. I won’t, because I see it as much more important to report them and get them fixed, than to get my couple of plugins submitted right away.

A better fix, for usability and accessibility, would be to do a proper page load when paginating, for all the reasons I noted above.

1 Like

Not happening for security reasons. If you want to know more, DM me.

Congrats @ozfiddler I can see your plugin is up now!

Will we be solving the actual major issues we can solve now or will we continue the discussion as of how we all would do it better, without actually doing something?

I mean, I can’t see a single report anywhere related to any of the “major issues” we have seen here in the thread.
I shared a list of problematic devs and plugins, yet I hear (elsewhere, not in this thread) “The forum backlink isn’t mandatory on the dev profile creation, but will be soon. As soon as it is, I’ll contact the devs and ask them to set it”. Or “The version number automation is not yet live; this should be done soon”

So that means we willingly accept having total garbage on our repo just because the Directory did not, or does not automatically do the job.

That’s like saying “We will not update ClassicPress until it updates automatically. Let’s stay on outdated versions until then”.

It takes (hopefully) the push of a button to unpublish a plugin on our repo. Can we at least remove those that infringe the branding and those that are “tested up to WP 3.x”???
Maybe before we do changes to any link colors or scroll behaviours?

The list is shared, it is not complete, but there are actionable tasks on it.

2 Likes

Thanks James. Good to know that it was at least considered before being rejected for a valid reason.

2 Likes

I made a start on mine, it is set to be editable by whoever has the link.
Find it here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1197I5Z40f2Lh8-Jnl8IbLJ6GiNfUdBmVelPppPT4opw/edit?usp=sharing
I will go down the list using the All Plugins filter, anyone is welcome to suggest improvements/edit it.

2 Likes

With the migration to the ClassicPress-based directory, topics related to the Laravel directory will be closed.