Roadmap idea

I generally don’t play on github or slack - so if you think this idea is worth it, someone else make it over there if appropriate…

And yes, this is my first post, I created an account just for this. Now the idea…

In the 3D world, when designing a plant or control system you don’t care about what goes on inside any component (a pump is a pump, regardless of complexity or whiz-bangs - that’s the manufacturer’s headache). You only need to know how to talk to it.

In the case of CP, this is kinda like a plugin. So…as CP is developed going forward, why not make everything a plugin?

Essentially the “core” become nothing more than a plugin architecture. Editors, comment sections, database, admin pages, it’s all a plugin. And thus becomes a self contained “black box” insofar as the core is concerned.

– What’s the default editor? It’s just a blank text input box like this without any formatting or anything else. You just type (or paste) raw html or javascript. Want a fancier editor? Install the plugin. And even that “default” editor is a plugin.

– What database do you want? Flat file? MySQL, something else? It’s a plugin.

– Want your custom theme to use that (horrible) "customizer? It’s a plugin (that you list as a dependency in your theme). Don’t care about it? Your theme doesn’t have to use it (or even install it).

– Want comments? Load a plugin.

– Want to create a blog network at any time (subdir or subdomains)? Load a plugin.

You could even select (during install) what your default plugins are.

Yes this would be a MAJOR redesign of the core. But it would free up the core team from having to deal with any of the other issues. And a plugin architecture (almost inherently) can remain backwards compatible.

Just an idea to make things (maybe) more manageable.

JS

6 Likes

I like the way you think, and I’d love this model too. But it’s a bit idealistic: too complicated and ambicious for a fork. The next logical step is to leave WP behind and develop a visual clone based on a proper framework :smile:

But I think you are totally right in your basic statements. Less is more. WP increases excessive functionality, and CP could make a great contrast throwing away all stuff useless for commercial projects and solving some legacy problems.

I support many sites based on WP. And here are some most common questions asked by all clients:

• How do I change nav menu items? (They can’t imagine why menus belong to ‘Appearance’).
  • What’s the difference between Posts and Pages? (As 90% sites use hierarchical custom posts - catalogs etc.- this difference becomes too abstract and artificial for them. In addition words Page and Post loose some context via localization, so new people are confused).

My clients do not use:

• dashboard (current data doesn’t match their real daily interests),
  • REST API,
  • comments,
  • RSS,
  • theme customizer (the most useless, since they pay for a custom theme development),
  • password protection (as they manage access by roles and don’t keep real secrets in public area),
  • publication via email (no need and poor flexibility),
  • pings,
  • manual import/export (as it depends on lower level tools for managing backups and deploys).

I don’t mean that my situation is typical for all cases. Just giving information for statistics and illustrating the difference between business goals and current WP priorities. I think that CP should keep focusing on business goals. So moving useless ‘user-can-do-it-himself’ stuff to plugins is the right way and the key benefit. WP tends to please mass users, CP could be a solution for developers. In that aspect I agree with johnstrasser’s idea.

5 Likes

We have the petitions for that…
It’s a “good” idea to strip the unnecessary… But… I think there’s the risk to strip too much.
Moving things into core plugin however is the direction CP is taking. Who knows what it will be like in 10 years.

2 Likes

As @ElisabettaCarrara says, there are moves in this area already. I think REST and Emoticons are two on the agenda for moving to core plugins. Others in future would be guided by the petitions process.

2 Likes

We are already moving this direction with V2: https://www.classicpress.net/roadmap/

But I do agree, I like the idea on principle but trying to rework the foundation to support it is a big task that would probably span multiple ‘major’ versions. I think the roadmap for v2 is a great start in that direction though :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I like @johnstrasser thinking too. Not sure if it is possible in theory but a neat idea. I played with Perch CMS for a while and it does a bit of that… separates the theme completely, so the CMS is just handling content via a very simple admin backend. You insert editable areas into the page.

And @norske I agree with all of your “unnecessary” components. My clients don’t use any of those either.

Interesting discussion. :clap:

6 Likes

Thanks folks (sorry for my absence - life). At least I know I’m NOT crazy (on this front at least…).

I’ll take a look at the petitions stuff

JS

3 Likes

Sorry, I only saw this post after I started a new thread.

Perhaps, instead of the ambitious option of making the core entirely a plug-able architecture, what about turning the most “offensive” features off by default, making them opt-in on a tab in the admin area?

If you know what you are looking for, there are already plugins in the WP repo that can turn off these features.
This is not my area of specialty, but I cannot imagine that doing this by default, either in the core itself, or by recommending the best of these plugins on install of CP, can be that undo-able.

The real problem is that most inexperienced users do not even know that it is POSSIBLE to post via e-mail, nevermind that you can disable it, or how to disable it.
As a business user, this feature gives me nightmares and made me think that maybe I should have listened and let someone else do the development on Agile, even if I could not administer it myself afterwards (which was a crucial design consideration).

1 Like

Splitting stuff out into plugins will make it clear to users that the sort of things that give you nightmares exist. I think we’ll be defaulting to leaving them on for existing sites, in case it breaks things. But we could default to having them off for new sites.