Show Post/Page ID

This is now planned for CP 1.4.0

Bring back Post/Page/Media ID in Posts/Pages/Media list pages.

Read-only archive: https://petitions.classicpress.net/posts/227/show-post-page-id

Author: Linas

Vote count: 12

Comments

I voted for this idea before and doing it again. This is specifically important for non-technical users. Whenever doing some training and showing clients how to get an ID usually to be used in a shortcode or something else, they always say “why can’t they just show it here.”

It would be nice if an ID column would be added. Hidden by default and can be shown using the screen options panel. This would apply to all post types.

3 Likes

This sounds like a good and easy solution. No backwards compatibility implications so this could be added as soon as there is a PR for it.

1 Like

I recently found out that this doesn’t actually work on all browsers. I’ve always thought it would make sense for the ID to be shown in the table.

2 Likes

Why not go a little further and include menu order as well for Pages? That’s the one I need more than Post/Page IDs.

I like my Pages well-organized… :slightly_smiling_face:

If you’re referring to a column that hows menu order number, it would be best to open a new petition so others can vote on it. But for ordering pages, there is a petition for that.

3 Likes

It’s not that important to me… I don’t have many pages, so it’s manageable for now…

1 Like

I sent you a pull request via GitHub. A very simple approach, just modified the WP_Posts_List_Table class a few lines.

Works on posts:

And pages:

And can be disabled via Screen Options:

9 Likes

Unrelated, and useless comment, but it is very nice to see commitment of this kind.
Very nice.

9 Likes

Quick update, this is now planned for 1.4.0.

Thank you @alvarofranz for spearheading this and getting the PR :+1:

2 Likes

When a discussion or a change moves to different communication platforms it’s important to add links between all of those threads so that people can follow them later.

Here’s the PR for this change:

2 Likes

This is merged in and will go out with 1.4.0, closing this thread to free up votes :+1:

Track 1.4.0’s outstanding work here: Work towards Release 1.4.0

3 Likes