Snippet Repo Location Vote

To help move this along, let’s do a poll and see what the majority prefer. Here are the options as far as I can tell:

Option 1: Code snippets will be hosted on GitHub as Gists. They will be posted on the documentation website as a custom post type. Users will be instructed to submit snippets on the forum, so they can be reviewed, discussed, and published. An authorized reviewer will review the code and publish it as a Gist under the ClassicPress account, and publish it on the documentation website.

Option 2: Everything in option 1, plus for consistency move all other example snippets from the guides to be hosted on GitHub as Gists. So all code snippets and example codes from ALL guides will be hosted as Gists.

Option 3: Create a custom post type on the documentation website and publish code snippets directly on the documentation website using a syntax highlighter that’s already built into the documentation site. The submission process will be on the forum, as described in option 1.

Option 4: Code snippets will be posted in the directory along with plugins and themes. Code snippets will be hosted by GitHub as Gists. So the directory will be searchable for plugins, themes, and code snippets. The submission process will be on the forum, as described in option 1.

Those are the options as far as I can tell from all the discussions that took place in this thread. If I missed something, please do let me know.

The submission process is flexible and we can always change it. The important part is where do we store code snippets and where do we display them and/or make them accessible to the users.

The poll will run for 7 days and will close at 11:59PM on the 17th.

Where do we store code snippets?
  • Option 1
  • Option 2
  • Option 3
  • Option 4

0 voters

Discussion thread: Snippet Repo - #27

1 Like