Strange behaviour of site going transparent

All security issues affecting WP 4.9.x have been backported. The plugin thinks you’re running WP 4.9.22, so it shows you relevant information. We leave original WP version for plugin/theme compatibility.

Thanks for sharing information. Will get back to you once I run some tests.

I guessed that was what that meant, but thought I would try and give as much info as possible.

I checked ClassicPress websites, which use Classic SEO and Cloudflare, and there are no issues.

Can you please check your PHP errors? Two options:

• Since you have cPanel, usually there will be a log file inside public_html folder called php_errors. Using File Manager, you can access it and download it. The errors with recent dates can be relevant.
  • If it’s not there, you can enable ClassicPress debugging. Once enabled, try loading the dashboard again to see the white screen. This should trigger the error and log it. Then check your debug.log for errors.

The sample code to enable debugging with logs:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

// Disable display of errors and warnings
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
@ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

Replace define( 'WP_DEBUG', false ); in your wp-config.php with the above code.

Fatal errors usually cause white screens, so they should be logged.

Your logs will contain your cPanel username. So don’t post it here publicly. Send me PM with the logs.

The update yesterday also updated the WP Core:
ClassicPress v1.5.3 | WP Core v4.9.23

I use a different plugin on my WordPress sites that needs 5+, but this one works OK on ClassicPress, only glitch I have is that it seems like you need to save the settings twice before they take.

Anyway, when set like this it will show you fatal errors on the white screen so you don’t need to check logs if live debugging (just the way I do it).

1 Like

Many plugins set the minimum version to 5+ simply to avoid offering support for lower versions even if plugins work. Some functions were backported from WordPress 5+ to ClassicPress. I use Plugin Doctor - WPSeek.com to check plugins/themes for the minimum version based on the core functions used. When v2.0 drops, more plugins will work.

The Debug plugin requires a minimum version of 3.4, but based on the core functions, it can be used with 3.0.0. So should work with CP without issues.

Thanks for the info - for my stuff I usually just install them and see what happens.
Installing an older version is also an option.

Once v2 is available I plan to convert one of my active single sites, then a multisite.

Back to Debugging - The plugin I prefer does refer to a 5.2 function according to that Plugin Doctor site, but if you edit the readme files to 4.9, it will install and seems to work fine.

Not sure if this is the correct file but I have an errors.txt

These are some of the contents from the date when I switched to cloudflare:

[13-May-2023 08:05:31 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[13-May-2023 08:05:31 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[13-May-2023 08:05:31 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[13-May-2023 08:06:05 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[13-May-2023 08:06:05 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[13-May-2023 08:06:05 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[13-May-2023 15:53:24 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[13-May-2023 15:53:24 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[13-May-2023 15:53:24 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[13-May-2023 15:54:00 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[13-May-2023 15:54:00 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[13-May-2023 15:54:00 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[13-May-2023 15:54:25 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[13-May-2023 15:54:25 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[13-May-2023 15:54:25 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[14-May-2023 08:11:27 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[14-May-2023 08:11:27 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[14-May-2023 08:11:27 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[14-May-2023 08:11:33 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[14-May-2023 08:11:33 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[14-May-2023 08:11:33 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[14-May-2023 08:11:38 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[14-May-2023 08:11:38 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[14-May-2023 08:11:38 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[14-May-2023 08:12:16 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[14-May-2023 08:12:16 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[14-May-2023 08:12:16 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[15-May-2023 09:30:35 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[15-May-2023 09:30:35 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[15-May-2023 09:30:35 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[16-May-2023 15:02:58 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[16-May-2023 15:02:58 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[16-May-2023 15:02:58 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[16-May-2023 15:03:04 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[16-May-2023 15:03:04 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[16-May-2023 15:03:04 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[16-May-2023 21:09:26 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[16-May-2023 21:09:26 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[16-May-2023 21:09:26 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[16-May-2023 21:11:09 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[16-May-2023 21:11:09 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[16-May-2023 21:11:09 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[16-May-2023 21:11:13 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[16-May-2023 21:11:13 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[16-May-2023 21:11:13 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44

So I downloaded the debug plugin that you recommended.

Something strange has now happened.

So I reactivated the Classicpress SEO plugin and the screen went blank.

I then pressed the Back button on the browser and the site dashboard loaded okay. I then double checked the plugins and it is still activated.

I checked the error file on the debug plugin and it says this:

[18-May-2023 14:14:44 UTC] PHP Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/bkklgwkv/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpdiscuz/class.WpdiscuzCore.php on line 942
[18-May-2023 14:14:44 UTC] PHP Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/bkklgwkv/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpdiscuz/class.WpdiscuzCore.php on line 975
[18-May-2023 14:15:05 UTC] PHP Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/bkklgwkv/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpdiscuz/class.WpdiscuzCore.php on line 942
[18-May-2023 14:15:05 UTC] PHP Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/bkklgwkv/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpdiscuz/class.WpdiscuzCore.php on line 975

So now not sure what to do

The error file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. is related to OpenSSL installed on the server. This may be related to your version of OpenSSL (reference). This is probably why you’ve had issues with SSL before.

Can you check what version of OpenSSL is installed on your server?

1. You can create a file inside public_html folder called info.php and add the following inside <?php phpinfo(); ?>. Then simply load this file in your browser to view PHP info: domain.com/info.php. Do an in-page search for “OpenSSL” and see what version is installed.
  2. You can also use phpinfo() plugin to view this data.

Either way, after you’re done, make sure to delete the file or disable the plugin.

Okay. Hopefully this is it

openssl

OpenSSL support enabled
OpenSSL Library Version OpenSSL 1.1.1p 21 Jun 2022
OpenSSL Header Version OpenSSL 1.1.1p 21 Jun 2022
Openssl default config /opt/alt/openssl11/etc/pki/tls/openssl.cnf

Can you find out from your host if they can upgrade your OpenSSL to something above v3?

So I have been doing some test, so I downgraded to 1.1.1p and i got the same error.

Warning: file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages: error:16000069:STORE routines::unregistered scheme error:80000002:system library::No such file or directory error:16000069:STORE routines::unregistered scheme error:80000002:system library::No such file or directory error:16000069:STORE routines::unregistered scheme error:80000002:system library::No such file or directory error:0A000086:SSL routines::certificate verify failed in /srv/www/luthemes/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
Warning: file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /srv/www/luthemes/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
Warning: file_get_contents(https://luthemes.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /srv/www/luthemes/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44

so this just tells me that version 1.1.1p has issues.

I am currently testing 1.1.1t which I believe is the latest version and seems to be the same. this issue didn’t start from the release of 1.1.1e

@spanner44 are you able to find a way to downgrade to 1.1.1 without the letter or upgrade to the latest.

I think v3 is for php8?
spanner44 is running 7.4
Debian 11 is using ‘n’ with 7.4.33

If I’m not mistaken, @getkoded007 was testing PHP 7.4 with OpenSSL 3.x. But he was using Docker.

We’re running OpenSSL 1.1.1 (no letter) on our Litespeed server. It has no issues. I believe this issue was introduced in 1.1.1e. So reverting to 1.1.1, if possible, would be the best option.

Any plugins/themes using file_get_contents() should throw the same error while trying to get a file proxied by Cloudflare.

OK
I probably put too much weight into how Debian APT offers version upgrades.
:zipper_mouth_face:

I was testing CP 1.5.3 and PHP 7.4.

Maybe try turning off the proxied and see if that resolves the issue.

Family emergency, so haven’t been able to do much, will persevere later today. Something I have noticed though from the limited time I have had, is that when the Debug plugin is activated that @EliteStarServices recommended, the problem doesn’t occur, and the Classicpress SEO works without a problem. When I deactivate the Debug Plugin, the problem returns.

Don’t know if that sheds any light on the problem, or just causes more confusion

So, just to update, I have contacted support to see if they can change the OpenSSL. I await an answer.

So far this what the testing I have done, and the results.

1. ClassicpressSEO with no Cloudflare - Works but impossible to set up SSL
  2. ClassicpressSEO + Cloudflare - Get the transparent screen thingy, so does not work.
  3. ClassicpressSEO+Debug plugin activated +Cloudflare - Works okay with SSL from cloudflare working.

So for the moment, I can use the site using option 3. I don’t know why this option works. Obviously if the hosting change the OpenSSL, then this will hopefully resolve all the problems.

What concerns me though is if this happens to anyone else, although I presume that this seems quite an exclusive problem to me.

The link in the original post contains a space in the plugin folder name. Was that just a typo or is that space really there?
The error messages indicate an extra slash there:
https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg