Strange behaviour of site going transparent

I had a similar problem previously, which I could never resolve, and it involves cloudflare. I have resorted to cloudflare so I can get a SSL certificate, as trying to install one on my site seems impossible, both manually and via a plugin, but whenever I use cloudflare, it clashes with Classicpress SEO plugin.

If the plugin is enabled the dashboard goes white and I just get this link: https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo%20/assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg

If I disable the plugin, via the cPanel, the site loads normally with the SSL.

So I can either have a site with no SSL certificate but can have ClassicpressSEO, or I have the SSL via cloudflare, which is the only way I can seem to get it implemented, but then no Classicpress SEO.

While all this is going on, the site appears to be working directly, it is just the dashboard/admin side of things that is affected.

Has anyone experienced this before, or knows what I can do to fix it please.

Thanks in advance.

What are your settings for SSL in Cloudflare, normally it should be full (strict) and how are you getting your ssl for your server or hosting.

So I just tested, i got the same issue, but when i do it manually download and extract and copy over to the plugins folder and activate, it works fine. It only happens when u try to activate the plugin when you try to install and activate using the dashboard.

Thanks for the quick reply. So if I understand correctly. I should uninstall it via the dashboard, and then delete the folder in the Cpanel (which I have renamed currently).

Then I need to download the zip file for classicpress SEO and the unzip it in the plugins folder on the Cpanel.

Will this then activate the plugin automatically and show as active in the plugins list?

Sounds like it, u can use the cPanel’s file manager to upload and extract and copy it over… I think that’s the best way apparently or u could just use terminal if you have ssh enabled!

So if anyone is reading this… When you download the zip file on to your computer and navigate to the plugin dashboard and click on Upload and click on Install Now… It fails after you click on Install Now. so eventually, it did not upload and extract when you are using cloudflare.

I think that’s what’s happening!!

OKay, so I deleted it and it all looked gone with no files. I then uploaded the zip to the Cpanel and unzipped it.

Went back to the plugins list and then saw it in the list, but it wasn’t activated. If I then click activate, I get the same problem.

I’m not at my PC to check right now. Do you have any errors in your browser’s console?

It’s a strange behavior. We definitely need to look into it.

Can you also let us know what PHP version you’re running please? So we can do proper testing.

The PHP version is PHP 7.4.33

I don’t know if this makes a difference or not, but on the Cpanel, it has a WP Toolkit, which when I click it, sees the installation as a Wordpress 4.9.22 - which I sort of expect.

But it is showing security issues in the core and some of my plugins.

The list on the core is these:

WordPress <= 6.2 - Unauth. Blind SSRF vulnerability Mitigate Details
WordPress core <= 6.0.2 - Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.18 Details
WordPress core <= 6.0.2 - Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.18 Details
WordPress core <= 6.0.2 - Stored Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.18 Details
WordPress core <= 6.0.2 - SQL Injection (SQLi) vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.18 Details
WordPress core <= 6.0.2 - Content From Multipart Emails Leak vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.18 Details
WordPress core <= 6.0.2 - Cross-Site Request Forgery (CSRF) vulnerability in wp-trackback.php Fixed in: 5.0.18 Details
WordPress core <= 6.0.2 - Stored Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in Comment editing Fixed in: 5.0.18 Details
WordPress core <= 6.0.2 - Stored Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.18 Details
WordPress core <= 6.0.2 - Reflected Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.18 Details
WordPress core <= 6.0.2 - Sender’s Email Address Exposure vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.18 Details
WordPress core <= 6.0.2 - Data Exposure vulnerability via REST API Fixed in: 5.0.18 Details
WordPress core <= 6.0.2 - Open redirect vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.18 Details
WordPress <= 6.0.1 - Authenticated Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.17 Details
WordPress <= 6.0.1 - Authenticated Stored Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.17 Details
WordPress <= 6.0.1 - Authenticated SQL Injection (SQLi) vulnerability via Link API Fixed in: 5.0.17 Details
WordPress <= 5.9.1 - Stored Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability Fixed in: 5.9.2 Details
WordPress <= 5.8.2 - Authenticated Object Injection in Multisites Fixed in: 5.0.15 Details
WordPress <= 5.8.2 - SQL Injection (SQLi) vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.15 Details
WordPress <= 5.8.2 - SQL Injection (SQLi) vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.15 Details
WordPress <= 5.8.2 - Stored Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.15 Details
WordPress < 5.8 - Plugin Confusion vulnerability Fixed in: 5.8 Details
WordPress core <= 5.8.1 - Expired DST Root CA X3 Certificate issue Fixed in: 5.2.13 Details
WordPress core <= 5.8 - Command injection vulnerability in the Lodash library Fixed in: 5.0.14 Details
WordPress core <= 5.8 - Data Exposure via REST API vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.14 Details
WordPress core <= 5.8 - Authenticated Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.14 Details
WordPress <= 5.7.1 - Object injection in PHPMailer vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.13 Details
WordPress core 4.7-5.7 - Sensitive Data Exposure vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.12 Details
WordPress core 4.7-5.7 - XML External Entity (XXE) vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.12 Details
WordPress <= 5.5.1 - Mishandled deserialization requests vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.11 Details
WordPress <= 5.5.1 - Mishandling Embeds From Disabled Sites On a Multisite Network vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.11 Details
WordPress <= 5.5.1 - Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) via Global Variables vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.11 Details
WordPress <= 5.5.1 - XML-RPC Privilege Escalation vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.11 Details
WordPress <= 5.5.1 - Unauthenticated Denial-of-Service (DoS) Attack to Remote Code Execution (RCE) vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.11 Details
WordPress <= 5.5.1 - Stored Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) in Post Slugs vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.11 Details
WordPress <= 5.5.1 - Bypass Protected Meta That Could Lead To Arbitrary File Deletion vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.11 Details
WordPress <= 5.5.1 - Cross-Site Request Forgery (CSRF) vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.11 Details
WordPress <= 5.3 - wp_kses_bad_protocol() Colon Bypass vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.8 Details
WordPress <= 5.3 - Stored Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.8 Details
WordPress <= 5.2.3 - Multiple security issues (XSS, SSRF, Cache Poisoning) Fixed in: 5.0.7 Details
WordPress core <= 5.2.2 - Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.6 Details
WordPress 3.9-5.1 - Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.5 Details
WordPress 3.7-5.0 (except 4.9.9) - Authenticated Code Execution vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.1 Details
WordPress <= 5.0 - File Upload to XSS on Apache Web Servers vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.1 Details
WordPress <= 5.0 - User Activation Screen Search Engine Indexing Fixed in: 5.0.1 Details
WordPress <= 5.0 - Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability that could affect plugins Fixed in: 5.0.1 Details
WordPress <= 5.0 - Authenticated Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.1 Details
WordPress <= 5.0 - PHP Object Injection via Meta Data vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.1 Details
WordPress <= 5.0 - Authenticated Post Type Bypass vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.1 Details
WordPress <= 5.0 - Authenticated File Delete vulnerability Fixed in: 5.0.1 Details
WordPress core <= 6.2 - Insufficient Sanitization of Block Attributes vulnerabilities Fixed in: 4.9.23 Details
WordPress core <= 6.2 - Auth. Stored Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability Fixed in: 4.9.23 Details
WordPress core <= 6.2 - Unauth. Shortcode Execution vulnerability Fixed in: 4.9.23 Details
WordPress core <= 6.2 - Unauth. Directory Traversal vulnerability Fixed in: 4.9.23 Details
WordPress core <= 6.2 - Cross-Site Request Forgery vulnerability Fixed in: 4.9.23 Details

I guess that this showing, because I am running classicpress, but thought I would list it just in case.

In the browser console it is showing this:

caught TypeError: Cannot use ‘in’ operator to search for ‘animation’ in undefined
at Ts (selectContextBtn.5c43afc5.js:29:29188)
at Object. (selectContextBtn.5c43afc5.js:29:29228)
at H (selectContextBtn.5c43afc5.js:1:572)
at Object. (selectContextBtn.5c43afc5.js:17:6664)
at H (selectContextBtn.5c43afc5.js:1:572)
at selectContextBtn.5c43afc5.js:43:11595
at selectContextBtn.5c43afc5.js:68:1246
at selectContextBtn.5c43afc5.js:68:1271
merlinGUI.691b4a67.js:54 Uncaught (in promise) DOMException: Failed to execute ‘attachShadow’ on ‘Element’: This element does not support attachShadow
at XE (chrome-extension://camppjleccjaphfdbohjdohecfnoikec/merlinGUI.691b4a67.js:54:225913)
at JE (chrome-extension://camppjleccjaphfdbohjdohecfnoikec/merlinGUI.691b4a67.js:54:226563)
at a (chrome-extension://camppjleccjaphfdbohjdohecfnoikec/merlinGUI.691b4a67.js:54:228467)
at chrome-extension://camppjleccjaphfdbohjdohecfnoikec/merlinGUI.691b4a67.js:54:228587
at chrome-extension://camppjleccjaphfdbohjdohecfnoikec/merlinGUI.691b4a67.js:163:1072
at chrome-extension://camppjleccjaphfdbohjdohecfnoikec/merlinGUI.691b4a67.js:163:1127
at chrome-extension://camppjleccjaphfdbohjdohecfnoikec/merlinGUI.691b4a67.js:163:1152
Grammarly-check.js:2 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read properties of null (reading ‘dataset’)
at fs (Grammarly-check.js:2:138788)
at gs.updateState (Grammarly-check.js:2:140256)
at t._next (Grammarly-check.js:2:141201)
at t.__tryOrUnsub (Grammarly-check.js:2:31770)
at t.next (Grammarly-check.js:2:30935)
at t._next (Grammarly-check.js:2:30032)
at t.next (Grammarly-check.js:2:29703)
at t._tryResultSelector (Grammarly-check.js:2:51030)
at t.notifyNext (Grammarly-check.js:2:50820)
at t._next (Grammarly-check.js:2:47939)
chat.13fc66bf.js:130 Uncaught (in promise) DOMException: Failed to execute ‘attachShadow’ on ‘Element’: This element does not support attachShadow
at Object.vG (chrome-extension://camppjleccjaphfdbohjdohecfnoikec/chat.13fc66bf.js:130:51220)
blogSummarizer.2ce55b42.js:94 Uncaught (in promise) DOMException: Failed to execute ‘attachShadow’ on ‘Element’: This element does not support attachShadow
at Object.My (chrome-extension://camppjleccjaphfdbohjdohecfnoikec/blogSummarizer.2ce55b42.js:94:46186)

I don’t have a problem with Grammarly or merlin normally or when I disable the plugin. Hope this the information that you are looking for.

All security issues affecting WP 4.9.x have been backported. The plugin thinks you’re running WP 4.9.22, so it shows you relevant information. We leave original WP version for plugin/theme compatibility.

Thanks for sharing information. Will get back to you once I run some tests.

I guessed that was what that meant, but thought I would try and give as much info as possible.

I checked ClassicPress websites, which use Classic SEO and Cloudflare, and there are no issues.

Can you please check your PHP errors? Two options:

• Since you have cPanel, usually there will be a log file inside public_html folder called php_errors. Using File Manager, you can access it and download it. The errors with recent dates can be relevant.
  • If it’s not there, you can enable ClassicPress debugging. Once enabled, try loading the dashboard again to see the white screen. This should trigger the error and log it. Then check your debug.log for errors.

The sample code to enable debugging with logs:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

// Disable display of errors and warnings
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
@ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

Replace define( 'WP_DEBUG', false ); in your wp-config.php with the above code.

Fatal errors usually cause white screens, so they should be logged.

Your logs will contain your cPanel username. So don’t post it here publicly. Send me PM with the logs.

The update yesterday also updated the WP Core:
ClassicPress v1.5.3 | WP Core v4.9.23

I use a different plugin on my WordPress sites that needs 5+, but this one works OK on ClassicPress, only glitch I have is that it seems like you need to save the settings twice before they take.

Anyway, when set like this it will show you fatal errors on the white screen so you don’t need to check logs if live debugging (just the way I do it).

1 Like

Many plugins set the minimum version to 5+ simply to avoid offering support for lower versions even if plugins work. Some functions were backported from WordPress 5+ to ClassicPress. I use Plugin Doctor - WPSeek.com to check plugins/themes for the minimum version based on the core functions used. When v2.0 drops, more plugins will work.

The Debug plugin requires a minimum version of 3.4, but based on the core functions, it can be used with 3.0.0. So should work with CP without issues.

Thanks for the info - for my stuff I usually just install them and see what happens.
Installing an older version is also an option.

Once v2 is available I plan to convert one of my active single sites, then a multisite.

Back to Debugging - The plugin I prefer does refer to a 5.2 function according to that Plugin Doctor site, but if you edit the readme files to 4.9, it will install and seems to work fine.

Not sure if this is the correct file but I have an errors.txt

These are some of the contents from the date when I switched to cloudflare:

[13-May-2023 08:05:31 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[13-May-2023 08:05:31 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[13-May-2023 08:05:31 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[13-May-2023 08:06:05 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[13-May-2023 08:06:05 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[13-May-2023 08:06:05 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[13-May-2023 15:53:24 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[13-May-2023 15:53:24 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[13-May-2023 15:53:24 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[13-May-2023 15:54:00 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[13-May-2023 15:54:00 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[13-May-2023 15:54:00 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[13-May-2023 15:54:25 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[13-May-2023 15:54:25 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[13-May-2023 15:54:25 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[14-May-2023 08:11:27 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[14-May-2023 08:11:27 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[14-May-2023 08:11:27 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[14-May-2023 08:11:33 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[14-May-2023 08:11:33 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[14-May-2023 08:11:33 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[14-May-2023 08:11:38 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[14-May-2023 08:11:38 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[14-May-2023 08:11:38 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[14-May-2023 08:12:16 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[14-May-2023 08:12:16 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[14-May-2023 08:12:16 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[15-May-2023 09:30:35 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[15-May-2023 09:30:35 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[15-May-2023 09:30:35 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[16-May-2023 15:02:58 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[16-May-2023 15:02:58 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[16-May-2023 15:02:58 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[16-May-2023 15:03:04 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[16-May-2023 15:03:04 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[16-May-2023 15:03:04 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[16-May-2023 21:09:26 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[16-May-2023 21:09:26 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[16-May-2023 21:09:26 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[16-May-2023 21:11:09 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[16-May-2023 21:11:09 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[16-May-2023 21:11:09 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[16-May-2023 21:11:13 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
[16-May-2023 21:11:13 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(): Failed to enable crypto in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44
[16-May-2023 21:11:13 UTC] PHP Warning:  file_get_contents(https://chb44.com/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo//assets/admin/img/classic-seo-dashicon-white-on-transparent.svg): failed to open stream: operation failed in /home/xxxxxxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/classicpress-seo/includes/admin/class-admin-helper.php on line 44

So I downloaded the debug plugin that you recommended.

Something strange has now happened.

So I reactivated the Classicpress SEO plugin and the screen went blank.

I then pressed the Back button on the browser and the site dashboard loaded okay. I then double checked the plugins and it is still activated.

I checked the error file on the debug plugin and it says this:

[18-May-2023 14:14:44 UTC] PHP Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/bkklgwkv/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpdiscuz/class.WpdiscuzCore.php on line 942
[18-May-2023 14:14:44 UTC] PHP Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/bkklgwkv/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpdiscuz/class.WpdiscuzCore.php on line 975
[18-May-2023 14:15:05 UTC] PHP Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/bkklgwkv/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpdiscuz/class.WpdiscuzCore.php on line 942
[18-May-2023 14:15:05 UTC] PHP Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/bkklgwkv/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wpdiscuz/class.WpdiscuzCore.php on line 975

So now not sure what to do

The error file_get_contents(): SSL operation failed with code 1. is related to OpenSSL installed on the server. This may be related to your version of OpenSSL (reference). This is probably why you’ve had issues with SSL before.

Can you check what version of OpenSSL is installed on your server?

1. You can create a file inside public_html folder called info.php and add the following inside <?php phpinfo(); ?>. Then simply load this file in your browser to view PHP info: domain.com/info.php. Do an in-page search for “OpenSSL” and see what version is installed.
  2. You can also use phpinfo() plugin to view this data.

Either way, after you’re done, make sure to delete the file or disable the plugin.