The automatic update from 1.1.3 to 1.1.4 worked on all of my blogs but one. It should have been updated but wasn’t. Instead it failed and I tried updating manually, only to get an error message saying „PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Invalid archive structure“
This blog is installed on a different server than the others, but the OS, PHP version, and nginx version and configuration (including site configuration) are all the same. The error message gives the impression that there is something wrong with the downloaded archive.
Like most of my other blogs this one was a former WordPress installation until 4.9.10 and then „cross-dated“ to ClassicPress using the plugin. I can find no difference between these blogs, but I still might have missed something.
Thank you for the welcome – and the solution! I had expected a clearer error message to point out that a PHP module was missing. I think I forgot it after the upgrade from Devuan ASCII (PHP7.0) to Devuan Beowulf (PHP7.3). Again, thank you
If you look at the discussion on the pull request, we had previously considered leaving this alone until version 2, since it doesn’t seem to be a common issue. (Not all downloads suffer from this problem, even if cURL is not installed, because GitHub does not always send downoaded files in chunked mode.)
We haven’t seen more reports of this issue since then (December 2019), apart from yours.
I’m still undecided on what to do about this:
For every report we see, there are probably about 10 other users that see the same thing but don’t report it
On the other hand, the fix considered in that PR should work ok for the v1 branch, but it is an ugly hack and could have other side effects.
Perhaps adding a clearer error message as you suggest would be another option.
As promised: an update. I updated Ubuntu. I installed php-curl. I restarted the server. At the end of all that the problem persisted. ANy attempt to update Classicpress resulted in PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Invalid archive structure
In the end I downloaded the new version and uploaded it to the server manually using Filezilla. That worked a treat