View in #core on Slack
@Viktor: Anyone around for the meeting?
Do we have any PRs to review/merge?
On my end, one agenda item would be 1.6.0.
wp-cli fix and the Emoji update. There are 2 renovate tickets also but they can wait on
@Viktor: I approved wpcli pr. The error was fixed.
@Matt_Robinson: So you did, merging now.
@Simone_Fioravanti reviewed the Emoji update to so that can be merged -I’ve be using on my sites and seems okay.
@Viktor: I approved that one too just now.
@Matt_Robinson: Do we know if the nightly has broadened our community testing?
@Viktor: I never got a chance to do public announcement. Was busy. But I will post one today, so we should get more people to test soon. I know there has been a few people testing v2.
@Matt_Robinson: Sounds good. I can review the Renovate tickets later. I’ve applied some protections to the
develop branch on Github after I found creating a backport just pushed into the
develop branch instead of creating a new branch. Time will tell if that fixes that problem.
@Viktor: I will be submitting a few minor PRs over the next few days.
@Matt_Robinson: In the current issues on
v2 is #108 applicable?
Is it proposing we check
RequiredCP version and report an issue? Won’t that already happen?
@Viktor: I think it can stay open as a feature request. I haven’t tested if CP shows a notice when theme isn’t compatible with the version. If it does, then issue can be closed. If it doesn’t, it can be a feature request.
But yes, it asks if CP will show a notice if CP version is lower than theme’s RequiredCP.
@Matt_Robinson: I suppose that’s a future thing on
v2 but in theory anything that works on
v1 should also work on
v2. The same can’t be said in reverse.
@Matt_Robinson: So, do we spend time fixing that on
v1 or accept the risk that is may cause problems.
That doesn’t need answered now
@Viktor: No, I wouldn’t fix it in v1.
@Simone_Fioravanti: Issue #108 is is applicable but better handle that when the directory is in place.
@Matt_Robinson: Anything else for
@Viktor: Nothing from me.
@Simone_Fioravanti: For me nothing else…
@Viktor: Do we want to briefly discuss
@Viktor: There’s one PR that removes petitions widget:
And all other PRs, I don’t know if we should merge some that are complete or close them since features will be included in v2.
I guess the main question is, how much work do we want to put in in v1.6.0.
I put PRs that appeared to be completed into 1.6.0 milestone, to make it easier to see them:
@Simone_Fioravanti: What about https://github.com/ClassicPress/ClassicPress/pull/1170 ?
If it’s complete can be good to bring some PHP compatibility also in v1…
@Matt_Robinson: #1170 can close unfixed. Even
v2 isn’t fully 8.1 compatible so I’d suggest we close.
@Viktor: You’re welcome to close anything you think can be closed. I don’t know enough to be closing anything
@Matt_Robinson: #1167 should probably merge though, simple change and should help on PHP 8.0
@Simone_Fioravanti: Just approved. Simple change that should help.
@Matt_Robinson: I’ve just closed about 4!
Propose we close #1116 too, dates work fine as they are, no need to modernise and risk breakage.
#846 is a simple change, propose we merge that one.
#1072, I’ve no strong feelings on this one. Simple fix but maybe unnecessary. Can merge if we think it’s low risk.
@Viktor: I think it can be merged. It wouldn’t break anything.
@Matt_Robinson: #1089 can merge for me, a nice addition to any 1.6.x release and a simple change.
#1072 has some complex conflicts due to a file name change. We might be quicker just closing it unless Laurence can update the PR.
#1073 is clean, fairly simple and fixes a bug. No conflicts so propose we merge.
@Viktor: We can close 1072. I don’t think Laurence is available due to a new job.
@Simone_Fioravanti: #1073 looks easy and can be merged for me.
@Matt_Robinson: 624, failing coding standards and with
v2 we will be encouraging and update anyway, do we need that adding in
@Simone_Fioravanti: Don’t feel the need of #624 having v2.
@Matt_Robinson: Not much happening upstream on the SameSite cookies issue, but sholud that come into
@Viktor: If we can, I would bring it over.
@Simone_Fioravanti: #1229 and #1230 can be closed for me. For v2 let’s see where is WP going…
@Viktor: if we want to wait on WP, I’m ok with that.
@Matt_Robinson: #1240 looks good to merge as a last one - removing the petitions widget.
Okay - that was a bit crazy fast on
The Security page could be removed from
v1 but that’s done in
v2 so maybe just need to prepare an update / EOL notice to encourage v2, we can then coordinate a final (hopefully)
v1 release with
v2 RC perhaps.
@Viktor: Last time security page was discussed, I don’t think anyone was really using it.
@Simone_Fioravanti: I’ve just a plugin using it (was just for testing the feature) and it won’t be affected from that.
@Matt_Robinson: Agreed, it was a good idea but never widely adopted.
Anything else? I am running out of time for this week.
@Viktor: There are 16 PRs remain for v1. We should close/merge them as we get closer to 1.6.0 release. Or just close them all to reduce work.
Nothing else for the meeting.
@Matt_Robinson: Let’s have a look through those either over the week or next week and make a merge / close decision.
@Viktor: Thanks for productive meeting!
@Simone_Fioravanti: Thank you
@Matt_Robinson: Until next week.