What Cloud Storage Provider Do You Use?

I wanted to try Digital Ocean spaces, but the pricing isn’t reasonable for my use case, also, I would be storing media files (ranges of 1Gb to 10Gb every month), has anyone tried wasabi or backblaze with Classicpress, their prices are the right fit for me.

What do you use?

2 Likes

I have only ever used DO Spaces and Google Cloud Storage. I would recommend DO Spaces over Google Cloud Storage between those two anyways :slight_smile:

1 Like

Due to the seamless integration with droplets? Or ?

I took a quick look at the plugin repo just now, and it seems developers supports Spaces more than the two I mentioned, I can’t even find a support for Backblaze.

I use BackBlaze. I was using Amazon S3 but I dumped all things Amazon after they irritated me. BackBlaze is about a quarter the price of S3 and is great for my purpose. But I’m not sure what you mean by “tried it with classicpress”. What sort of integration do you need?

4 Likes

That was my thought too, it’s cheaper compared to others.

Offload media files

1 Like

I went for Digital Ocean Spaces after thinking it through.

1 Like

Yes, not sure about that with BackBlaze. I only use it for storing backups.

1 Like

That kind of makes sense, DO has a good developer community and I think Backblaze is mostly known for “backups” :slight_smile:

Same, I stopped using AWS a while ago for my projects.

That was part of the factors I considered, I can integrate things easily, custom sub-domain for cdn and the community is very active, gat_no_oda_choice :wink:

1 Like

It was Amazon shop that annoyed me. I bought something and even though I unticked every hard sell I could find, I still got signed up to a trial membership of Amazon Prime. It then took me 3 pages of instructions and about 6 different screens to cancel it.

At that stage I thought: “I don’t want these people having my CC number”.

2 Likes

Amazon AWS and BackBlaze are industry standards. BackBlaze is cheaper and a more user friendly interface. We use both to create redundancy.

To make a point, it really depends on he purpose of your uploads or backups, and how you want to access them. For us its primarily cPanel and website backups.

2 Likes

I use S3 for all site backups but it has many irritations including AWS’s terrible UI, and I’m considering a move to Rackspace Cloud Files.

EDIT: And Rackspace Cloud Files works with UpdraftPlus free edition, which fits with my business model :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Backblaze B2 is great. However, its API sin’t S3 compatible. For S3 compatible API I would recommend Wasabi.

4 Likes

A S3-compatible API is probably the easiest way to get any of these services working well with ClassicPress, using e.g. GitHub - humanmade/S3-Uploads: The WordPress Plugin to Store Uploads on Amazon S3.

2 Likes

Yes, for that plugin S3 compatibility is key. Backblaze says their own API helps reduce costs.

1 Like

I found a major problem with many S3-compatible providers including Digital Ocean Spaces. Anyone who can access one bucket can access all the buckets in an account.

So if you’re backing up several different clients’ sites to an account, and your client has a ClassicPress admin login, they can easily get the API and secret keys from the database and download ALL the backups you’ve stored for all client accounts.

Just something to be aware of.

2 Likes

That’s what IAM permissions are for:

3 Likes

Please see @viktor comment below. You create and use IAM user for backups, never your root account access. I create a different one for each agency. No it’s not easy to setup.

With UpdraftPlus we can even create a user per site, so even if they can view other buckets, they can,t access them. Not sure that helps for ClassicPress, but a good backup plugin should give you some control over AWS setup.

2 Likes

I will always pick Digital Ocean over AWS if possible, it is just much simpler.

It looks like Digital Ocean does not offer fine-grained permissions, so I would probably create an account for each client.

I usually have clients create and manage their own accounts anyway, since this means they remain in control of their own data and I don’t have to deal with billing etc…

2 Likes