What is the difference between ClassicPress and Classic Editor?

I haven’t seen this question actually asked, but some random chat here and there tells me the distinction should be made.

1 Like

Agreed, I can see there may be some confusion about the difference.

1 Like

ClassicPress The Beta version is essentially WordPress 4.9.8

Classic Editor is the TinyMCE editor (the one we’re all used to).

With WP V5.0 the classic editor was replaced with a “block editor” called Gutenberg.

You can install the “Classic Editor” plugin on WP to essentially over-ride the block editor.

However, as WP moves on to “Phase 2”, the block editor will also be able to add/edit navigation, such as menus, widgets and page layout. This includes the header and the footer, which means you will be able to design your own theme.

After 2021, the Classic Editor plugin will no longer work, as everything becomes controlled by blocks.

ClassicPress will remain unchanged and will continue to work as WP 4.9.8 does, in that it does not use blocks.

However, you can use your own page builder plugin with CP, such as Elementor, if you want to design using blocks. This can be done on a page/post basis. You have the freedom to choose how you do edits.

So to sum up, ClassicPress is a fork of WP and uses the Classic Editor by default.

2 Likes

I think it might also be important to point out that Classic Editor is only a Plugin that overwrites the core, while ClassicPress is an independent fork in which TinyMCE is the core editor

1 Like

I tried to explain it as simply as possible, by using steps to show the difference between each term.

Too much information at once tends to confuse things for people.

1 Like

I guess it comes down to personal opinion about what the most important part is in that type of summary, haha. I just mentioned it because for me, that is the most important part about ClassicPress.

I just answered what the post thread title was, “What’s the difference?”

Yes, there are many other things that could be added, but they are not needed to answer the question.

I’m not having a go at you, just explaining why I kept it simple.

Not replaced, the new block editor was introduced and made the new default editor, the classic editor is still there but you need the classed editor plugin to enable it and disable the new block editor.

@Pross
This is what I mean by making things complicated. My post was designed to make it easy for people to understand.

Sure, I could have gotten technical, but I chose not to. I merely wanted it laid out in layman’s terms.

I have edited my post several times now. Hopefully it now answers the question correctly.

Oh, I never meant to imply that I thought you were doing that.

I just meant, when it comes to the core of the difference between ClassicPress vs Classic Editor, the Plugin vs Fork distinction is very important for me in answering that question. And I guess that isn’t your view, and that is fine. I just thought that it warranted a mention, even in a simple answer.

There are no hard feelings here, and I do apologize for the misunderstanding and if you felt attacked by my comments. That was never my intention.

@anon14774557
Not attacked. Just frustrated. Of course the fork is important. It is to me as well. I must be having a bad day.

Sorry, but if “ClassicPress is essentially WordPress 4.9.8”, don’t you think that is better to keep WP at 4.9.8 with all updates disable?

@Mr.Catalonia
It is currently a clone of WP 4.9.8 with some changes to rebrand it ClassicPress.

But that is just the starting point. ClassicPress will be changed and updated by the developers and will be no longer simply be a clone in V2.0

Staying on WP 4.9.8 and not updating is not a long-term solution.

Again, the topic is about the difference between the term ClassicPress and Classic Editor - not between WP and CP.

The important word here is “essentially.” @Graham is 100% correct so that, as his terminology suggests, they are not identical. The biggest difference is that, unlike WordPress, ClassicPress v1 does not support versions of PHP older than 5.6.

This makes websites using ClassicPress significantly more secure. As this video demonstrates, it also makes them much faster. (To save time, you can just scroll straight to 2:36 to see.)

2 Likes

It sounds good! =)

ClassicPress v1 is not just a clone of WordPress 4.9.8! Here’s a list of what’s currently implemented and planned for v1: FAQ: What will be new/different in ClassicPress V1?

I’m talking about the current version 1.0.0-beta1, but called it 1.0.0 to keep it simple.