What topics would you like to see covered on the CP blog?

What kinds of blog posts would you like to see added to the CP blog? Please list your ideas for topics/tutorials below.

3 Likes

From @anon71687268: we need a tutorial series that shows how to do the basics: syncing, backporting, whatever. There are a lot of people who seem to want to help, but, don’t have the requisite knowledge. A very pointed series of short tutorials is really needed.

6 Likes

@BlueSkyPhoenix
Basically, you have three types of users;

1. designers, the theme makers
  2. programmers, the plug-in guys
  3. bloggers, regular everyday users

while there might be some overlap it’s very small.
For example, I have been a WP user for 12 years and I still have no idea how to use or make the menu. I have absolutely no desire to make a theme or coda plug-in.

Another thing to take into consideration is the maturity level of the user.
And I don’t mean them maturity level of the individual but the maturity level of how well they know ClassicPress.
And since this is a brand-new product (well sort of) we are all neophytes.

6 Likes

@BlueSkyPhoenix, thanks for seeing this over to the appropriate thread. :slight_smile:

@thewolf, I’ve also been in deep with WordPress for similar time. Because of that, and because ClassicPress is a very new, direct descendant of WordPress, I feel it is completely appropriate to consider myself an expert. The WP experience is directly translatable to the ClassicPress project.

5 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Discussion regarding expertise

The proposed tutorials should probably be split into categories i.e. Usage of CP and Code Contribution.

For usage we can cover things like installing (Core, themes & plugins), adding content, creating menus, working with widgets and so forth.

On the code contribution front lets have a how to become a contributor, how to setup a development environment, Git: Pull from master, push to branch and then issue pull request back to master/dev. Plus all other arrays that go into the code contribution.

Code contribution can be further extend to how to create a theme, child theme and plugins to extend core - most of this info is already out there for WP and just needs refactoring and centralized for CP purposes.

Down the line in V3 core will most likely introduce new CP specific functionalities and these will need documenting how they can be taken advantage of and/or how they benefit the wider community - so documentation is another that will need contributors.

8 Likes

We should keep in mind that at the moment CP is virtually the same as WP4.9. So any tutorial you can find online pre-Dec-2018 about doing stuff in WP should also equally apply to CPv1.

So, for that reason, I don’t see much value in just duplicating those. For later versions of CP sure, we should put out tutorials that are CP-specific.

I’d suggest 2 areas to focus on for now.

1. Tutorials on how to contribute to CP as suggested above.

2. Tutorials targeting potential users - maybe discussing anything that is different from WP, or any procedures in migrating or whatever.

I’ve already proposed (and have written) one on the process of reverting a site back to WP. This may seem counter-intuitive, but I think it would be good to show potential users that migrating to CP is not an irreversible, one-way street.

10 Likes

Here’s another one that might be needed… Community Meeting - #8 by invisnet

If we want people to be taking part in CP discussions on Slack then it would be good to make a short post about what Slack is, and how to join up and use it. I must admit, I was fumbling around for a while there trying to get to know it.

5 Likes

How about some sort of category of how CP is diverging from WP? Sort of an easy-to-scan reference that people can use to keep up with changes. It can help for knowing if a migration is desired, if it will work with a plugin, etc. As CP evolves, the decision to use one or the other will be more difficult to assess.

10 Likes

For me tuts about github:

• a basic introduction
  • best practice for CP developers

I just opened a post here with a question on that theme.

4 Likes

I really like the idea of also categorizing tutorials into length of time and expertise to implement. I believe @anon71687268 's site (https://codepotent.com/) nicely gives estimated reading times and categorizes some things as simple tips & tricks and others as bulkier tutorials. On a similar note, as much as I’m moving away from Divi and the Elegant Themes repository (Elegant Themes Blog | Best WordPress & Divi Resources) I do like the broad range of subjects they cover on their blog (even if they do go a bit overkill with quantity of content).

As for content I think in the long run the more tutorials on varied subjects for people the better. I must say I’m thoroughly enjoying the “Meet the community” posts and I think similar stuff - just like maybe some basic CP website showcases would also be quite good (as well as promoting CP a bit)

I guess there’s not masses of information on users of CP at the moment however I kinda assume most people have come here with at least some Wordpress experience rather than using CP as a starting point but I may well be wrong. With that in mind I guess it would make sense to gear blogs and tutorials towards more experienced users to begin with.

In the long run however I’d love to see content aimed at varying levels of experience. Even stuff as basic as simple standards of practice. For example back when I first started in Wordpress I would barely even use child themes, until I one day needed to - and then my first child-theme’s style.css ended up looking like a hall of mirrors full of spinning clown-faces endlessly repeating redundant css. These days I comment out everything in neat orderly indented tabs and everything (only to minify it later with a plugin… oh well) if just for my own sanity but also ease of use for any future edits.

I guess my point is that I kinda wish whatever original child-theme tutorial I followed to begin with encouraged me to follow certain practices and explained why it was more productive for me to follow them.

PS - I didn’t realize I’d rambled on so long - I’ll go back to lurking in a corner now.

10 Likes

No need to lurk, it was a good post. haha.

2 Likes

I posted something in this line here

2 Likes