Will Litespeed support CP?

Well, I think you have more chance than anyone else. You certainly seem to have the knack.

1 Like

The same could be said for WordPress. I think we all know that the “All singing, all dancing, super duper, massively powerful, dedicated WordPress hosting” is a bit of a marketing gimmick.

But having tried Litespeed on my own VPS, I do know that it does definitely make a difference.

2 Likes

Sorry I misquoted this paragraph, I was reading this as:

“I own an hosting company and I won’t commit to support CP until Litespeed say’s they are willing to support” and I was like you’ve been getting CP on most services, why aren’t you adopting it as early as possible, my bad, I thought you own the company, never knew you were fighting for all.

Yh it does help, I use Nginx + Apache instead.

1 Like

Ah, I can see now how that can be read the wrong way :slightly_smiling_face:. To confirm, I don’t own the company (I wish!). It’s just the company that I use for hosting.

Yeah, I’ve had my eye on Nginx for a while now and have been meaning to test it…but there’s always something else that needs doing. :slightly_smiling_face:

Just for information, the switch from Apache to Litespeed is really simple. There’s a few changes to be made to .htaccess but apart from that, it was more or less seamless. The performance improvement was noticeable straight away. Switching back to Apache is simple too.

2 Likes

So, I’m getting a little confused here. I thought Litespeed is something the hosting company runs on their servers. It isn’t something that is specific to WP or CP. However the Litespeed Caching plugin is a caching plugin, initially written for WP, that works in conjunction with Litespeed.

My hosting company has Litespeed. I have tried the Litespeed caching plugin and it made no difference to my sites so I don’t bother using it.

I’m not really seeing why this is so important for hosting companies. Installing the plugin is something the user should be doing.

Or am I missing something?

There are two elements: LiteSpeed Web Server (LSWS) and LiteSpeed Cache for WordPress (LSCWP). LSWS runs on the server as a drop-in replacement for Apache. LSCWP is the caching plugin for WP. But they also do cache plugins for Magento, Joomla, OpenCart and other platforms.

Best results are obtained when the web component and the cache plugin are used together but the plugin can be used on its own.

If you look at most hosting companies, they offer various managed WordPress hosting packages, some based on Litespeed, others on Nginx. All make good use of caching. But it’s the fact that they’re managed that is significant.

Here’s a couple of examples:
https://www.a2hosting.com/wordpress-hosting/managed
https://onyx.io/

The ones that are using Litespeed in their managed packages also use the caching plugin. But it is difficult (if not impossible) to persuade hosting companies to support ClassicPress if a key component of the underlying technology doesn’t support it.

So if we can get Litespeed to commit to supporting CP, the theory is that it will make it a lot easier to get hosting companies to support it too and perhaps offer a dedicated, managed ClassicPress hosting package.

And yes, it has been mentioned that Litespeed isn’t essential for ClassicPress sites, but that is missing the point.

Obviously everyone will have different experiences. When I tested LSCWP in conjunction with LSWS, it made a noticeable difference to most of my sites, particularly the larger ones.

2 Likes

OK, that’s clearer. We seem to be using Litespeed and the Litespeed Caching Plugin interchangeably. But we are really talking about getting a version of the plugin for CP.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s the plugin that’s the stumbling block at present.

1 Like

LiteSpeed Cache Works With ClassicPress

I’m pleased to say that Litespeed have now officially committed to supporting ClassicPress and have announced it on their website:

https://www.litespeedtech.com/products/cache-plugins/wordpress-acceleration

Not only that, but James and I will be working with them with a view to maintaining long term compatibility with CP.

15 Likes

Wow. You are truly impressive Tim. :clap:

Would you like to try for Automattic officially supporting ClassicPress? I reckon you could even do that.

8 Likes

Tim is that squeeky wheel that just get’s all the oil.

4 Likes

Nah. I’m aiming for someone bigger and better… :slightly_smiling_face:

If you mean I’m well-oiled, then that’s probably true. :wink:

5 Likes

Very impressive. Well done. :+1:

2 Likes

Kudos!

Now I am slightly curious… :rofl:

3 Likes

Only slightly? :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll let you know when I’ve thought of someone. But don’t hold your breath. :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve heard that Tim is trying for an official partnership with Google.

3 Likes

You must have heard that from Google then. They must have a mole. You just can’t trust anyone to keep their mouth shut these days.

4 Likes

This is indeed extremely impressive. Well done, Tim, and — as someone who uses both Litespeed and the plugin — thanks!

4 Likes

Wow 1stepforward impressive work thank you :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thank you very much @roald! :slight_smile:

2 Likes