Will there be a Year of ClassicPress?

As sort of a rhetorical poll: how many plugins need to be installed to disable unwanted WordPress features added by their developers now and going forward for you to use WordPress?

I guess what I’m really asking is in the title… do you think WordPress is on a trajectory to lose more of its users? Will ClassicPress be able to fill a larger gap in the market if this happens? Even if WordPress doesn’t lose users, will the CP market grow? Is there a Year of Classic Press coming?

I suppose I’m just asking questions. I didn’t come from a Gutenberg Exodus and have tested Gutenberg quite a bit (although I am here now because it’s not ready - it’s not a factor in how I plan on using WordPress right now). I can still see myself using WordPress when Gutenberg is where it should be. There are certain things Gutenberg does right that I hope works out in the long run. However, I don’t think WordPress ought to be the behemoth it has become and see room for a ClassicPress or other platform, maybe another fork down the line.

I just hope something balances out because I feel torn both ways from wanting to do things the way I’ve done them and being open to the changing world of web tech. It’s a rollercoaster for sure!

Many of us have felt thorns too. Me included.

I reconciled with the fact that “it’s not one OR the other, because I can use both”. In the process, I also learned Joomla. So now I have WP, CP, and Joomla as tools in my belt. Having three choices is better than having only one.

CP began in late 2018 to cater to the needs of people (developers, users, and everybody in between) that just need something simple like old WP was to build something.

As I see it, every CMS has its place. The success of CP is not in the NUMER of people using it, it’s in the fact that it started in 2018 and in 2023 it’s open for business and has a v2 in the making.

The fact is, when there is no alternative to something you don’t quite like, you have to swallow it anyway because it’s the only thing that there is.

Now, people are not obliged to swallow the WP block editor without reacting, there is CP. and there are other CMSs too. Some will come to CP, some others will go elsewhere. CP will continue to go ahead.

I have done some research about Joomla, it has a very small slice of market share globally compared to WP, but it continues to thrive and there is an ecosystem of paid and free extensions for it. Talking with some Joomlaers they explained to me that even if a small number of people use it compared to WP it is worthwhile developing because it works well and many people earn a living with it even with that small market share. The same applies to CP.

You ask if the numbers will grow, well… IMHO we can expect a certain growth statistically speaking. This is confirmed by the fact that many more people use CP now compared to the beginning.

CP is here to stay and we are committed to developing it further and I think this community can sustain an increase in the number of people using it, should this happen down the road.

The fact that we are going to release a v2 very soon thanks to our core contributors is to me enough proof that the CMS is here to stay.

The v2 will not only bring us up to date with libraries and other security fixes and features WP 6 has that we want in CP, but it will be the launch of the Plugin/Themes Directory included in the dashboard (so users will be able to manage plugins and themes for CP directly from the dashboard of the site) - this will encourage people to list their plugins and themes in the dir also (this happened in WP also, when the repos were made available people started to submit their plugin and themes gaining visibility from that).

As you can see v2 is a very huge commitment to the community. It means not only that CP is here to stay but that it welcomes contributions in every form (even publishing a theme/plugin is a form of contribution. people might not consider a small plugin a big contribution to the project, but when published in the directory they are visible to every CP user, and not only that, they increase CP awareness around the world just by being listed).

Another thing to consider is that the population is growing and this means that every day the number of people needing to build their websites is increasing.

At present, 58% of sites worldwide are built with a CMS, the rest is coded from scratch.

In 2011 around 76% of websites were coded from scratch, in 2022 this percentage has fallen to the 33%, this means that there is a statistical increase in the use of CMS to build sites.

As of now, the market is more or less like this:

• WP market share is around 45%
  • Wix is taking about 10%
  • Squarespace about 3,7%
  • Joomla just the 1,72%

If the number of people was to remain the same, to gain market we would need to see a decrease in other CMS numbers, instead, people needing sites are increasing, which means there is space for CP to grow even if these big players retain their market share.

Source for the above stats here.

Early 2022 Joost of Yoast SEO wrote a post that you can read here, to discuss the fact that WP statistics were slightly falling for the first time in 18 years (this means that WP continued to grow all along these 18 years!). It is common even for big players to have fluctuations in market share, and this can come to our advantage too.

Considering all this, I can’t predict the future by saying there will be another year of CP and I can’t say how many people will migrate to CP from WP or from other places, but I surely can say that statistics are very well in CP’s favor.

2 Likes

WordPress will continue to be the #1 CMS, but that doesn’t mean it fits all users’ needs. I believe in using the right tool for the right job instead of forcing WordPress to be everything just because you can.

You can use WordPress, ClassicPress, and many other platforms as your needs change. I use WordPress for many projects, ClassicPress for other projects where it’s a better fit, and I also use Django where I want to use Python.

It really doesn’t have to be either or - only WordPress or only ClassicPress. The question is, which CMS is the right one for the project at hand?

ClassicPress is lighter than WordPress and usually offers better performance, but it can be a bit more difficult to use for non-technical users. I think ClassicPress can be very good for developers building custom websites and solutions for clients that require no “page building”, it’s a great option for headless/static websites, and for anyone who wants a simple solution to create a website or a blog.

With v2.0 based on WP 6.x and the new directory in the works, I think we’ll see increased usage of ClassicPress once they’re released.

I always see people post on social media about switching to ClassicPress. As WordPress moves more and more to FSE, users are slowly switching over.

2 Likes

Didn’t want to start a whole new thread just to show some admiration for CP, so I will post a word here. I am building a site to promote alternative (actions or physical) ideas to the American problem of gun use.

CP (cPanel) loads CP (ClassicPress) very easily and it is not hard to find under Softaculous software installer of cPanel.

Loading AntiSpam Bee with TwentyTwelve and expanding the max-width of the page div at media min-width 769px really works well. I will continue to build this site strictly with CPress. This is a public accessible site that allows peeps into their own admin pages, so the CPress Activities and News Dashboard widgets will be shown when they login. (or at least I will keep them visible for now).

Plugins’ screenshot

1 Like

And another screen of the non-admin user logged in, dashboard.

P.S. Petitions and News is very old but not complaining. Just saying… LOL

1 Like

The petitions widget will be removed. We may add something later after 2.0 drops.

Cool. The screenshot here show odd font size because I added my own admin dashboard widgets that took over styles of all the dashboard widgets.

Makes since to remove Petitions. I thought Petitions were going to fade out from CP at some point… or at least thought i read it somewhere. Might be an interesting subject for this forum; to see what widgets would be beneficial for CP.

The site project posted above is https://gunalternative.com/ - Checkout the twosided commenting in the Think Tank.

1 Like