Woocommerce and ClassicPress

I’m with @timkaye on this one, Jigo looks dead and I’m not sure it’s the right fit

I spent some time looking into their repo and their stats make the plugin look dead… While at the same time I acknowledge I don’t know what other option is viable.

I may be wrong, but in my opinion I don’t foresee Ninja Shop wanting to be the official plugin. They have a ton of ‘eggs’ in the WP basket to risk rocking the boat.

With Ecwid, they would be a good fit because all their ‘eggs’ aren’t in the WP basket. That being said, I have never tested their shop, and am not sure if an account with them is required to utilize it.

The nice thing about ecwid is that it gives ClassicPress “customers” an option to move away as ecwid works with other platforms. As a business owner that would be a big plus in the decision making process.

Obviously we’d prefer people didn’t move away from ClassicPress, but any business doing due diligence will need those questions answered.

2 Likes

I understand that, but isn’t it also a minus? “ClassicPress is for business, but if you want to run e-commerce, you need to do that somewhere else” sounds like a lot of mixed messaging.

Depends on whether or not you need an account with them. Like I said, it would be a great fit if that isn’t required.

Can confirm, you don’t need an account, but you have the option of connecting one:

I don’t see how it would be possible to use ecwid without an account with them. It’s a hosted service. I also don’t see why they’d be interested in partnering with ClassicPress. There wouldn’t be enough skin the game for them. They are far too large for that (#1 for e-commerce on Facebook, for example).

If we’re going to go with an external platform, then you might as well use Shopify with the WP Shopify plugin. Using that plugin you can stick with the Shopify Lite plan which is cheaper than ecwid (not counting the very limited free option of ecwid).

@pieter Agreed.

To reiterate, my concern with the Shopify plugin is that it isn’t an “official” one maintained by Shopify. Regarding Ecwid, the test I ran didn’t seem to have many restrictions apart from a couple of ‘nice-to-haves’. They even support Stripe out of the gate with no extra fees.

1 Like

Shopify dropped support years ago, because they simply want to promote their own button and be done with it, which tbh I can’t blame them for.

And for people that find numbers an important criterium, this might help:

Current number of websites running with:
Shopify - 322,678
ecwid - 27,240

source: https://www.datanyze.com/market-share/e-commerce-platforms/shopify-vs-ecwid

Do you need a Shopify account to use the plugin?

Of course you do, how else would you be able to connect Shopify to WP?

Same goes for ecwid

You don’t need an account with the Ecwid plugin. I just tested it and posted about it above.

@timkaye posted a response to that, which makes sense in the same way as it does with Shopify

Also, on this page the Get Started button goes straight to registering an account

My test showed I didn’t need an account. You are welcome to test it to and correct me if I was wrong. I was running out the door.

Wade, maybe you’re already logged into ecwid with Facebook or Google, I don’t know and I don’t want to question you, but it simply does not make any sense whatsoever to connect 2 different platforms with each other without the need to register an account.

I don’t have an account. After installing the plugin it asks if you would like to set up a shop or connect an account.

But setting up a shop means creating an account. It might ask for different details, but that’s still what’s happening. Otherwise it wouldn’t be unique to you and I could take your shop and have it on my site.