Woocommerce and ClassicPress

It didn’t create an account… Please someone else go test it… I am out shopping.

The account will allow you to sync your orders and customers. Otherwise, doesn’t seem it is required.

I’m still mulling the ecommerce aspect over and have not reached any conclusions that are worth contributing buttttt… in response to Elisabetta’s comment about Woo Commerce being Autom’s property, I thought it was Open Source software and that the legalities… well… copied from a legal site:

“Open source is an unusual circumstance, however, because the author expects that others will use, modify, and share the work. But because the legal default is still exclusive copyright, you need a license that explicitly states these permissions.”

Maybe the license doesn’t explicitly state those permissions? Or maybe it’s no longer open-source and thus, the expectation for modifications and sharing has changed??

If someone already knows, I’d like to know also, whatever is done. I’ll also check tomorrow…when I have some time. If not reply, I’ll post back then.

I do like Elisabetta’s suggestion though. Woo is 30% of the ecommerce market …70% … hmmm…

1 Like

@wadestriebel - Try adding a payment solution, you will then see that you need to connect to your ecwid account

I’m not a lawyer, but my understanding of GPL is that the only legal requirement to use a piece of GPL software is that you retain the original copyright notice in the source of the software. Once a thing is open source, there’s no going back.

I connected stripe without an “account” creation step.

I personally don’t think an hosted solution is what we need now for e-commerce.
I agree with concerns about jigoshop being dead.
I will look around and see if there is some other plugin we can refer to instead woo.

1 Like

At the end of the day any plugin that requires an account with a third party probably shouldn’t be considered. I think we all kind of agree with that.

1 Like

They present themselves as “the easy alternative to woo”.
I tested their plugin a couple years ago, while I was fumbling around one of my test sites with learning purposes… At the time I liked them.
I must admit I don’t know if they are a good fit for us… But we can evaluate.
Another one we should reach to IMHO is easy digital downloads.

@wadestriebel i don’t like hosted services for a good reason. What if their site goes down? Immagine thousand of sites on ecwid in blackout mode everytime ecwid main site has issues… How can we serve such unstable solution?
Also not fond of needing to connect my site to an external service, that for safety.

1 Like

Two things on Cart66:

• Isn’t it a hosted site?
  • The pricing page says they aren’t accepting new accounts.

I’m still mulling the ecommerce aspect over and have not reached any conclusions that are worth contributing buttttt… in response to Elisabetta’s comment about Woo Commerce being Autom’s property, I thought it was Open Source software and that the legalities

The issue isn’t whether we can fork WooCommerce. It’s open source, so we can, no question. Just as we are forking WordPress itself. It’s that, if we don’t fork WooCommerce, its owners (Automattic) have every incentive to modify it somehow to make it problematic to work with ClassicPress.

1 Like

Agreed all round. I don’t like hosted services either for all the reasons you mention.

@azurecurve I tested cart66 about two years ago, I really don’t remember if it was or not hosted, so have to trust you on that.
I was just going through a list of plugins I tested.
I tested also wp-commerce, it’s a huge plugin with too many options - that means a big learning curve for end user. Overall didn’t have a great opinion on wp-commerce at all, this is why I didn’t mention it.
It appears to me woo has “dried” all e-commerce plugins trying to compete.
Concerning forking woo, it seems the best option in only one case to me.
We need a dedicated team developing it. People who are around here now are dedicating many hours of dev time to CP v.1 releases… We can’t ask them to fork and maintain a big project like woo in addition to this.
This for now is a big issue.
What we need for woo is a complete team, not just a dev’s spare time. Not only we have to maintain it, also we have to develop it along CP lines. That means such team has to understand what CP is now and where it’s going.
It’s true we can enroll a company, asking them to fork it officially for CP and offering them the status of CP e-commerce and ability to sell it on a paid or freemium scheme… But we need a whole company unhappy of WP and willing to commit in CP and for now WP pays too many plates of soup to have that situation. Maybe waiting GB fall, and allowing people to dislike WP we will have a chance companies will look for a solution to contain damage creating new income streams, there there is a chance to find a partner for woo forking I think.

I think Ecwid.com would be good. I don’t shill for them but I know they use Amazon’s hosting so it doesn’t slow down site loads and you create your shop through their site and then copy and paste code into your page. They also have a plugin you can use if you want to. I’ve used the copy and paste code on several of my sites for years without changing anything and they still work fine on all my sites - because everything goes through them, not my site. I know they are not hip or as cool as Woo Commerce and doesn’t get the exposure Woo does, (as one would expect) but I see no reason why it would not work fine with CP.

They’re going to. How could they not make Woo to be more “friendly” with Gutenberg? They’re moving everything over to Goober, so Woo will as well. It’s a given.

Not accepting new accounts? Who doesn’t want money for their business? Next.

1 Like

It’s an hosted platform.
As I mentioned above I see two issues:

• what if their site goes down or they close their business?
  • a site connecting to an external server is a security risk.

But I tested them and I know that apart from those concerns they are not bad.
That solution would allow small business with small sites to run e-commerce without an expensive and huge hosting solution also.

Agreed. It’s not like Route 66 or whatever it’s called is the only eCommerce platform out there certainly. There’s a veritable list of ones that work fine with WP. I’ve personally worked with several small business owners who I’ve set up Ecwid accounts for. One is a private investigator who takes payment online and sells packaged services like a blanket background investigation package using it. I had another client who was selling his custom coffee roast blends online using it, just fine. And I have used it for years to sell downloads online, offer free ebook downloads, sell physical items.

It’s just a mater of deciding what anyone is specifically looking for. There are a gazillion eCommerce providers and plenty that would work fine with CP.

@voltaire not a gazillion.
There is woo, wp-commerce and gazillions of hosted services.
I peeked on the plugin repo yesterday just to have an idea.
Only two really emerge… Shopp and ninja e-commerce
Then jigoshop and ecwid… And gazillions gazillions gazillions of unreliable messy payment buttons (mostly PayPal) and unreliable hosted shops.
And easy digital download for digital goods.
That just to stay on the repo.
I have not asked Google yet however to find the ones not on repo…
In last two years I focused on building buddy press sites and lost contact with e-commerce solutions for WP I must admit. But what I see now is it’s woo or is unstable.
Or it’s hosted.
So far the best hosted is ecwid… But we need to find also a not hosted one IMHO just to be able to serve businesses. I am going to test shopp (it’s fairly new) and see what it’s like. Reviewers say it’s not bad.