A balance between CP's past and its future

About monetization, not all forms of it lead to power struggles and big players supporting the project gaining the right to direct it.
There are many discussion on this forum, on how to handle this in a way that is able to push the project ahead, without hindering the “community driven” aspect.
CP was born also to be its own way about monetization also, and I think this is very good. We can really build a better WP.
Some of the suggestions I have seen revolved around two concepts:

• allowing premium plugins and themes to be sold via the directory, asking for a commission in return (so a ClassicPress shop for premium extensions along the free ones)
  • building a platform where people in need of ClassicPress services can find companies/freelancers providing them (something like an Upwork for ClassicPress) where ClassicPress receives commissions from people using the platform.
    I personally think the first is the viable one, the second was discussed about two years ago but to be realized there is a need to invest in building the platform itself.
    Other proposals where debating the possibility of building a service like WP.com where part of the revenue was reinvested in CP, but this also needs a great starting investment for infrastructure, and basically means just replicating WP model, so IMHO is a faux-pas.
    The project is however building enough momentum that it is possible to introduce some form of monetization in the future. And I am sure the community is totally able to come up with a business model able to fund it in an ethical way.
2 Likes

Ok. Thanks for the info.

Look, honestly. You will read below what I felt and I am sure many of us recent users felt when having contact with CP V1.x.x:

Empowerment is a WordPress thing, first and foremost. This term designates imposition, and is totally contrary to the philosophy of the CP.

That said, the experience of using and installing the CP is something magnificent. I never thought it would be so easy to open FTP, file the entire WordPress installation, upload the cp installer, connect to the existing database and voila! A stable, rock-solid panel and wonderful plugins designed with charm, elegance and great grace. The Block plugin updates, for example, is cute. That minimalist and flat blue padlock, as well as the clean and polished interface of the CP makes it the IOS of the CMS if you can understand it. And it is in this, in this extreme simplicity that the magic of CP lies. Especially knowing that behind this beautiful, clean, lean and solid interface, there are updated security routines. Can you only have the true dimension of the magnificent feat you have done? Since Guttemberg’s entry into WordPress I dreamed of this moment, of finding CP! All the magic and pleasure of making websites and producing content has been reinvigorated. And that’s where all the magic of CP lies. Don’t touch the editor! Just update how you’re doing it, with security patches. Take as long as necessary, let them think that the project is stalled. But never, ever dare to insert a single line of code, without going through the strong clivo that you built. The CP is wonderful! If you want to build a version 2 for the editor, look for a way to format the blocks like Instant-Articles on Facebook. That is, we edit normally as it is, and then when it comes to publishing, that it is a plugin, format it as blocks, in a polished and smooth way. But never change the editor, as was done with Guttemberg, terrible, horrible. And please keep this 1.x.x version only with security patches and fixes. CP is beautiful as it was conceived. I’ve already made a special backup with this version and the plugins to save. It’s amazing, it’s solid, it’s much better than WordPress. I have published articles about CP and compatible plugins on my websites. I wish you all the best and never let bloatware invade our panels! God bless you all!

3 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Encouraging words for our developers.

2 Likes