Banned for mentioning Classicpress

I heard that comments mentioning CP are also banned from WpTavern.

1 Like

Well, that would make WPTavern suddenly less interesting to follow. All the complaints about Gutenberg have been fueling the comments section the last few months.

WPTavern is probably supported by Automattic. They’re certainly not critical of anything Mullenweig says and if you listen to or watch their WordPress Weekly, they were practically groupies. One listen was enough for me. I’m sure they get considerable ad revenue support through their affiliation with WP, but bottom line is that if you don’t acknowledge the broken sites, white screens, bugs, and many other issues with Gutenberg, you’re only showing half of what’s really going on out there.

3 Likes

Matt Mullenweg owns WPTavern last I knew, so it’s been very surprising to see any negative Gutenberg posts allowed.

1 Like

Guess that explains the minimal coverage of anything negative and why the “hosts” seem so extremely enthused with everything Mullenweig says.

2 Likes

Actually WP Tavern is owned by Matt/Automattic and afaik Jeff is a paid employee

4 Likes

WP Tavern is owned by Matt, but not through Automattic directly:

https://twitter.com/jeffr0/status/568100073474822146

Learn something new every day :slight_smile:
Cheers!

2 Likes

They’ve been allowed, but seems like somebody always comes along to scold the complainers for whining, being afraid of change, to shame them for not seeing Gutenberg as a wonderful new tool for the future, etc. etc.

4 Likes

I can confim about this… because it was happened to me also…
Perhaps they (or just some mods) were afraid… hahaha

2 Likes

true… they should change the name from “wordpress” to “blockpress”… huehue

3 Likes

Not entirely true, Jeff is great in letting people vent about Gutenberg, Sarah Gooding though, is a whole different story…

1 Like

Yes, especially given that this one particular OP gave a 1 star review and then it became a heated debate with great feedback from those opposing WP5’s latest changes, then a mod jumped in to close the thread down without giving anyone else room to debate. While that’s not what surprised me, what made me furious is his comment about how the future of WP will be blocked based widgets and menus, etc. You can view his last response here at the end of the thread, WordPress Gives Zero Fs - [Gutenberg] Review - page 2 | WordPress.org

As soon as I saw that, after being on the fence since all this, it confirmed that I need to jump onto the ClassicPress bandwagon. WP really does give zero F’s.

5 Likes

Not surprising from that particular mod. His responses to others were also a big reason why I finally decided to jump to ClassicPress instead of waiting to see how it turns out. It’s this “Screw all you idiots who can’t see the brilliance of Gutenberg–We’ll do as we want” attitude.

I see how the mods are complaining about people veering off topic and things “spiraling”–and yet all I see are people making legitimate on-topic complaints that should be addressed. Is this how they determine what needs to be deleted and blocked?

No they do not. Matt Mullenweg has corporate investors he wants to appease and he knows he has a loyal army of developers who will follow him anywhere he goes and does whatever he wants. His first mission is to find a way to compete with Wix…and I’m sure he wants that above all else. He thinks blocks will do that.

The million installs or whatever the number is because the installs are forced, not because it’s desired. It’s like saying Hello Dolly has the most installs. Of course it does. It’s there by default.

3 Likes

I’m going to safely assume that give it time, those developers who follow him around will not put up with it forever, especially those so called volunteers because given his actions now, he’ll do something to piss them off. It’s the kool-aid affect until everyone’s committed the proverbial suicide.

I was a loyal WP dev/designer/builder for over 12 years until this 5.0 nonsense came along.

3 Likes

Can someone explain to me how, as WP is free, they make their money? Sorry if the question is very naive.

They make huge amounts of dough by telling DIY small business owners and wantrepreneurs that their websites are “free,” and then charging quadruple what other companies charge for hosting, domain name registration, help that other hosting providers provide for free, and so on and so forth. They also sell over-priced plugins with “premium” features such as JetPack, WP Vault, and so on. One of the biggest problems I face as a web developer working with small business owners is that they go to WordPress dot com thinking they are really getting something qualitative for free, then get sites covered with ads for their competitors and have to pay to get the ads removed, pay quadruple regular industry costs for a professional domain name, and so on.

Nothing in life is “free.” This is also how Wix, Weebly, Squarespace, all make money. They offer the allure of something for nothing to people who don’t know any better, and then charge them extra amounts for every step. Vistaprint offers super-cheap PowerPoint templates to small business owners who don’t know they aren’t getting a bargain, as does everyone else who doesn’t have moral issues with that approach.

Obviously, I think it’s wrong to take advantage of people who think they’re getting a great deal and are really over-charged for things they don’t need if they’d just work with a dedicated professional from the beginning. I’ve met lawyers who were paying hundreds per month to WordPress dot com and paying hundreds per month to Google Adwords and getting nowhere because their generic site with no SEO was canceling out whatever they’d try to do.

7 Likes

A while back, I thought about going to WP’s .com to save money. I did the math on what it would cost to keep the things I have on .org, and–decided I get a better deal staying put.

4 Likes

It’s also a matter of control and independence. I know a Buddhist lady who has a “free” blog on WP com. One day she went to her site and it was simply gone. She must’ve said something someone else didn’t like, so it got deleted. It’s their servers at the end of the day and they legally can do whatever they want at any time and don’t owe the person an explanation. As long as you are using someone else’s servers you have to do what they want, the way they tell you to do it. This is why no business that makes money and grows can have a “free” DIY site. I meet clients every day who don’t understand this point and just can never grow; they can’t employ SEO tactics or strategies, they can’t sell or take payments online. I met a business owner yesterday who can’t update their store hours because their “free” template doesn’t work right, and on and on. If it’s a legitimate business, investing a few grand to get it done properly and get more customers is not a big deal because you’re investing in your business. It’s a concept alot of businesses don’t understand.

3 Likes