ClassicPress 2.0.0 "Bella" Release Notes

We’re very happy to announce the release of ClassicPress 2.0.0.

This release is a re-fork based on WordPress 6.2.x so brings ClassicPress a host of new features such as Site Health.

In addition, this version also includes:

• HTML5 as the default content output
  • Efficiency enhancements made in WordPress 6.3.x
  • Modern browser approaches for Widgets, Nav Menus and Meta Boxes
  • Added navigation buttons to content editing screens
  • Upgraded PHPMailer library
  • Fixed deprecated jQuery message in bundled themes
  • Build, Test and Dependency upgrades and updates
  • Compatibility fix with WooCommerce v3.9.x
  • m4tuto for finding a PHP File Upload bypass via Plugin Installer (requiring admin privileges).
  • @_s_n_t of @pentestltd working with Trend Micro Zero Day Initiative for finding an RCE POP Chains vulnerability.

Contributors

In no particular order the following have contributed to this ClassicPress release:
The ClassicPress community
xxsimoxx
viktorix
stefanos82
KTS915
DangitRick
mattyrob
wolf
WP Team

Download this release

New sites Download
ClassicPress-release-2.0.0.zip
and follow the installation instructions.
Existing WordPress sites Download the migration plugin and follow the migration instructions.
Existing ClassicPress sites Use the built-in update mechanism (more info).

Full changelog

The full changelog is available on GitHub.

8 Likes

Many thanks to all the contributors for all the work. Much appreciated.

3 Likes

I have successfully upgraded one website. No errors so far.

Great job, thank you!

1 Like

I just initiallized a simplified chinese translation file in 1.7.2 today… Looks like I got more stuffs to do.

But still happy to see 2.0 out!

2 Likes

The new navigation buttons are available on every post and page admin screen. Go to Screen Options and check Enable Previous and Next buttons to turn this feature on.

This setting works on a “per post per person” basis, so that every user can choose a different setting for each post or page.

1 Like

I have an existing test site on WP 6.4.x. I downloaded the migration tool and ran it but it seems to have migrated me to Classic Press 1.7.2

Paste the following URL into the custom URL box and it should upgrade to v2:
https://github.com/ClassicPress/ClassicPress-release/archive/2.0.0.zip

1 Like

Thanks - will try that tomorrow.

If that URL would give an error, try this one:
https://github.com/ClassyBot/ClassicPress-v2-nightly/releases/download/2.0.0%2Bmigration.20240228/ClassicPress-nightly-2.0.0-migration.20240228.zip

An updated version of the Migration Plugin should be ready soon that will convert to ClassicPress v2.

1 Like

I second this. Fantastic work.

1 Like

A lot of work for sure, congratulations! I just got 2.0.0 with a new test site and it seems I lost my widget visibility functionality that I had with a theme. It did work in CP 1.7.3 and the older versions. As I’m not really a coder I can’t tell what’s going on.

Can you point me to the plugin that is not working?

It’s the Socrates Toolkit plugin, that comes with the Socrates premium themes. Up until now no problems in CP with them.

Sorry can’t help as it’s not a free plugin.

1 Like

Have you tried to contact support?
Something that may be happening is CP v2 reports as WP v6, so plugins and themes may mistakenly read that as having block functionality, when CP does not. With CP v1, it reported as WP v4.9, so 3rd party add-ons would not try to enable block functions.

2 Likes

There are also other plugins that can manage widget visibility. If that’s all you need, it might be easiest just to change plugins.

1 Like

Thanks Timkaye, that did the job!

1 Like

I will contact the developer after the weekend anyway. Thanks for your suggestions!

1 Like

Thanks very much for taking the time, Simone! In case of emergency you could have had my login details, but for now I have a solution.

2 Likes