ClassicPress Update Manager

Continuing conversation from Using the fx-updater plugin to handle plugin updates - #33

https://codepotent.com/update-manager-rc1-is-out/

Links at the very bottom.

9 Likes

Are you using same classes etc as f(x) updater? I just installed your plugin on a site with f(x) updater already enabled and it picks up all the information, but I’m getting lost between the two.

Ah, OK. Disabled f(x) Updater and it works better. :grin:

1 Like

I was originally using the f(x) Updater plugin and had a bunch of entries in my database. I used the same CPT handle for the Update Manager’s CPT so I could have a bunch of premade records for testing. You make a good point – I’ll have to change it. And it’s times like this that make me glad I assign these things to constants, rather than hardcode them in. :slight_smile:

Update: This issue has been captured.

1 Like

So it uses the information from the plugin details field for other sites to decide if they need to download the update? And get the location of the download files?

1 Like

That’s right. It works the same way as how WordPress plugins in the repo are updated. The main difference is that the data is coming from the Update Manager plugin, rather than the repo.

I can’t find any documentation. The link

just takes me to the github main area - same as

1 Like

Oops! :slight_smile: I updated the link to the documentation.

3 Likes

So the docs are about and FAQ?

LOL, sorry for the trouble… I hadn’t set the plugin for production in my directory. The additional tabs should now be visible. I’m rewriting a few processes since quite a few things have changed in the last several weeks. Appreciate your patience. :slight_smile:

Ahh… great. Got them now. It was line 72 I needed. Was wondering how the client knew where to find the server.

Maybe a comment at the top would be good?.. around where you have // EDIT HERE: Make this unique. Ex: YourDevName\YourPluginName; to point out that you also need to edit line 72.

I added that info to the docs, but, agree a note up higher would be helpful.

It’s just that there was one thing at the top that said EDIT THIS, so I sort of expected all the configurable settings would be at the top.

1 Like

Also it says `YourDevName\YourPluginName’ but doesn’t like sc-utility as a plugin name, so I assume this has to be scutility. As long as it’s something unique, it’s not important?

Right. Namespaces tend to use PascalCase, so, it would be ScUtility … however, yeah, as long as it’s unique (and doesn’t contain illegal characters,) you’re fine. I’d probably use SimplyComputing\Utility :wink:

The template example is a great idea. I assume some of these are optional and some required?

Yes, … see the text-links in the Auto Complete box… you can see just the bare minimum required fields… :slight_smile:

Oh yeah… duh. Where it says bare minimum… that would be bare minimum. :crazy_face:

What is requires? Is that min CP version?

:slight_smile:

Yes, That’s the CP minimum… perhaps some sort of expandable legend might be helpful. There’s a lot of fields, I know. The more fields you add, the more polished your plugin will look. I really appreciate your testing and feedback…thank you!

Just tried to run an update and got this:

Looks like it can’t download the zip from github?

I believe that error can be caused by one of two things:

1. the Download link field isn’t pointing to a zip file, or
  2. the zip file is corrupted or incomplete.

Here’s a capture from a related item online…