ClassicPress Update Manager

OK - working now. I had the wrong thing in the download link.

So… update went through and all looks good!

1 Like

Awesome!

Yes, I think I have it all worked out now. Great work! :clap:

Any reason you decided to put the link at the very top of admin menu?

Thanks! When working on a plugin, I often force its entry to the top for ease of access. In this case, since plugins are my main thing, it made sense to keep it up top. I considered moving it down…but, to where… I get that some people aren’t going to want this, though, so, I added a filter that allows you to place it where you prefer. :slight_smile: I will probably reverse this behavior… allowing the item to fall in naturally and leaving the filter in place for those (like me) who want it in a different location.

2 Likes

This was well worth the wait, thank you for putting out :slight_smile:

Just took it for a test drive and although it took a little bit of a head scratch I got it to do exactly what it says on the tin.

Not sure if this is a conflict or just the way updates work but initially I wasn’t getting the update to show up then I remembered I had previously been using the GitHub updater so reactivated that, cleared cache and deactivated it again and just like that, the available update appeared.

P.S. Couldn’t find where to put my 5stars so left the only available 1 on GitHub - I guess it can be considered a 1+++++ rating :smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the kind works – and starring the repo! I’ll add your comments to the “opinions” section on my site (if you don’t mind)… It’s really good to hear that you did a bit of head-scratch to start, but, ultimately worked it out. This tells me it’s figure-out-able, which is always a good thing. :slight_smile:

In terms of how ClassicPress updates work, the system is designed to check for updates only every 12 hours, simply for performance reasons. I found that clicking the Check Again button on the updates page didn’t always do the trick, however, a hard refresh in the address bar usually pulled up the update. In a few cases, it seemed to take forever. I eventually started deleting the transient directly during development to ensure the check was performed. In terms of waiting around for transients to expire, “aint nobody got time for that.” :laughing:

3 Likes

No, wouldn’t mind if you did :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow, works great!
Only thing I can notice is that “view details” in plugin page is visible only when an update is available.
Tell me if I’m wrong - the class must stay in a subfolder?

Simone.

2 Likes

Glad to hear!

That’s a good point about the “view details” link.

About the UpdateClient.class.php file: you can place it anywhere in your remotely-updatable plugins; as long as you include or require it (once) somewhere in your plugin’s code. On that note, you can also name the file whatever you like. :slight_smile: So, just to clarify that, you can place/name this file however you like in a remotely-updatable plugin, however, it should remain intact in the Update Manager plugin to ensure that the Update Manager can still receive updates for itself.

3 Likes

As a hint, when GitHub updater plugin is active, the link is shown.

Did just a quick test, it is not working if placed in the root folder of the plugin. It works if placed on a subfolder (with whatever name you want).

Simone.

1 Like

I just did a quick test with the class in the root the requiring it without a path.

require_once('UpdateClient.class.php');

… it picked up the update. I’m wondering if maybe you are using an incorrect path variable in your include… or if you’re using a URL instead of a path to include the file. Your error logs should point out anything out of the ordinary. If you continue to experience this, please open an issue. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Issue opened :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Simone, I opened an issue for this; can you take a look at this comment and let me know your thoughts? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @anon71687268

I’m asking here as it may be useful for others. Can you give a pointer as to how I get our logo showing up here:

2 Likes

Just add a file called “icon.xxx” in the “images” folder in the root of your plugin. You can use svg, jpg or png.
The image is square.

Same for the banner that is displaied when you click “view details” when a new version is ready. 772x250 is the right size for this.

Simone.

5 Likes

Thanks Simone. Actually it needs to be icon.xxx (and banner.xxx) but I got it working now. :+1:

3 Likes

Sorry… sunday raining morning :sleeping: ! I’ve corrected my post.
Thank you!

4 Likes

Thanks @Simone, that should only work for svg images. :slight_smile: The supported images/types/filenames are:

Normal Images

SVG : icon.svg , banner.svg
PNG : icon-128.png , banner-772x250.png
JPG : icon-128.jpg , banner-772x250.jpg

Retina Images

SVG : icon.svg , banner.svg
PNG : icon-256.png , banner-1544x500.png
JPG : icon-256.jpg , banner-1544x500.jpg

Screenshots

PNG : screenshot-1.png , screenshot-2..png , …
JPG : screenshot-1.jpg , screenshot-2.jpg , …

You should be able to use any combination of the above. For example, if you only had an svg icon, a png header, and jpg screenshots… it should just work if you name the files according to the above.

5 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: Brut Force Login Protection + Update Manager