"customize" login page

One of the thing that i find very useful when you do a website for clients is the “customization” of login page…
in order

1. change logo
  2. change background
  3. change position of the box
  4. Add some content
  5. change the permalink (from wp-admin to whatever)

This could be an easy step in the direction ClassicPress wants to take to be different (and better) from wp.

is it just me?

4 Likes

I like it! Is there a similar petition? If not, you can submit your idea here: https://petitions.classicpress.net/

4 Likes

There are lots of plugins that do that.

2 Likes

We should not have to use plugins for everything. This is so needed and should be part of ClassicPress setup process.

Nah, I disagree.
This isn’t required as a performance issue rather than an optional feature.

1 Like

I agree that login page customization is plugin territory. If a plugin seems like too heavy a solution, the login experience can be highly stylized with CSS added to the theme.

1 Like

Agreed. There is the login_url filter that you can use (as I do) to change the login from the default wp-login.php to a regular page, which is easily styled with CSS in a theme. See login_url | Hook | WordPress Developer Resources.

No need for changes to core.

2 Likes

I can understand what you say… I think it would have been very usefull for all people who don’t code and use wp websites for their company.

Thanks for the reply

1 Like

Maybe. But the problem with that argument is that there are many things that could fall into that category – and yet different businesses will want different things. So that leads to the adding of a ton of code that most sites will never use. One of the goals for CP is to avoid such bloat.

Filters exist precisely to make it easy to modify core functionality. Any half-decent developer should be able to do this at a very modest price, which a business should certainly be able to afford. Or they can do as many of us have: study some web pages for guidance, and then do it ourselves.

1 Like

Just to have a company logo as a login page feature could be a big thing for people who do not code. I thought ClassicPress was the new “The business-focused CMS” - lets give the new owners a better way to put their own logo on their login page - just saying :slight_smile:

3 Likes

“Just” is a very loaded word. There are plenty of plugins that offer this functionality for those who need it without bloating the sites of those who don’t. And there are plenty who don’t. Most businesses don’t have customers logging in via the default wp-login.php page.

2 Likes

Yep, I am only talking about the logo . Not trying to change the core or the world :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you use the filter I mentioned, there is no reason for regular customers ever to go near wp-login.php. Plugins like WooCommerce and EDD provide their own login functionality. As do many membership plugins. As for then having two pages to protect, it’s essentially the same code in each place, so it makes little difference.

Hi Timkaye, I just put that in the theme functions.php?

Oki got that, thanks - now I see where the url should have been forwarded to :slight_smile:

1 Like

I started this petition related to the “remember me” checkbox:

You can change the logo with CSS:

#login h1 a, .login h1 a {
    background-image: url(https://yoursite.com/path/to/logo/logo.png);
    height:65px;
    width:320px;
    background-size: 320px 65px;
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    padding-bottom: 30px;
    }
4 Likes

You can change the “Remember Me” text with just a few lines of code.

add_filter('gettext', 'copo_remember_me_text', 10, 3);
function copo_remember_me_text($translated_text, $original_text, $domain) {
    if ($translated_text == 'Remember Me') {
        return 'Whatever text you want.';
    }
    return $translated_text;
}
1 Like

Sure, we can customize everything and anything but the question remains:

• who can and who will do this? and
  • why not have basic system messages to be correct out of the box?

In fact, those who are able to code what you suggest are those who already know the meaning of “remember me”…

• Same as always: developers primarily, I’d guess. On the other hand, this change isn’t some difficult thing – it’s almost a straight cut-n-paste into the functions.php file, which I feel confident is something most site owners can do.
  • Regarding being correct: Using your same logic, then we should also add more text to the login button (what are you logging into? what does login mean? How long will it last? Am I logging in via cookie or session?) What about log out? Or… what does dashboard mean? Or widgets? Or permalinks? My point is, there are many terms that aren’t necessarily explained-in-place because they have come to mean something in particular. Again, I think the solution here for those edge-cases where someone doesn’t understand what “Remember Me” means (or for site owners who just want to provide more information) a filter as shown above is a better path forward than forcing everyone else to filter it away for verbosity.
1 Like