Don't upgrade Rankmathseo

Rank Math has issue again for me when upgrading to version 1.0.30.2.

This plugin looks interesting,

1 Like

I’ve told him what was wrong. The fix is very easy.
I’ve fixed in my “compatibility” plugin.
If someone wants to continue using rankmath have a look at my terrible code here on GitHub.

3 Likes

@Simone not wanting to get rid of rankmath SEO I tried your plugin (many thanks for working this solution out and for sharing it).
Unfortunately upon activation it threw a fatal error screen. Question, should I post an issue in GitHub or it’s better I pass the screenshot to you directly?

Thank you.
Please post an issue in GitHub so I’ll learn more about GitHub :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for being so quick to answer!
My doubt is the plugin is not working maybe due to some of the other plugins I have installed. I posted an issue on Github, let me know if you need some other infos.

I’ve tried to reproduce it on wpsandbox (thanks @anon71687268 for posting that sites) but it works.
Please try the corrected version. If it’s broken again please send ma a list of your active plugin and PHP version in use.
Thank you!

3 Likes

I will try this afternoon and let you know.
Thanks!

1 Like

Answered on GitHub. But wanted to keep this thread up-to-date also…
It works now! No need to abandon rankmath! Thank you very much @Simone!

1 Like

The idea that a random user has to fix even simple issues makes me think otherwise. While it may work again, I’d be looking for a replacement.

1 Like

I see your point @anon71687268, I tested many SEO plugins ultimately, and I am a tad tired of testing them only to discover that they aren’t what I need.
But it’s true that a buggy plugin makes a bad service to the sites where it’s run.
Now at least I have time to find the replacement.

Thank you Elisabetta, happy to hear it works now :grinning:

1 Like

This may not be an uncommon (or undesirable) approach as we transition to CP-focused plugins.
And if we find ourselves fixing someone else’s plugin because there’s a demand for it, that’s a pretty good indication we should be creating a plugin to replace it, I’d think.

2 Likes

Right, this is what I’m saying. Regardless who creates it (ie core or 3rd party) a replacement seems in order.

1 Like

Exactly. Despite my SEO needs are pretty simple (sitemap, snippets, search console integration, link counter, etc.), but most plugins are incomplete or bloated. Rank Math is not ideal (too bloated), but it is the closest to it. Especially good approach - ability to disable unused modules (reminds me core plugins). The fork of it with flexibility and business-focus in mind can be appropriated.

2 Likes

The guy at Rank Math is working on the issue, and seems to be quite fast.
He’s going to make a PRO version too.
For me, if no one in this forum is planning to write a SEO plugin, it could be interesting inviting him in the community and ask explicitly to support ClassicPress.

5 Likes

If you’ve developed some rapport with him, please ask!

Just thought I’d jump in at this point.

It’s just been agreed with @james that I will start developing an SEO plugin for CP in the not too distant future. It will only have the basics to begin with and I can’t give any idea of timescales at present. It’s still very, very early days and in fact, I was going to hold off announcing this until I had some sort of plan in place.

Many of us (including me) have reservations about using Rank Math for a variety of reasons so far better to develop our own. Just to emphasise, this will be a plugin and not part of the core.

6 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: ClassicPress “SEO basics” research plugin

They fixed this problem in the most recent update. Though I did feel some trepidation at their comment in the changelog recommending that people upgrade to WP 5.0: I thought they were going to support CP in the long run. :frowning:

2 Likes

This is not good, and another reason to hold off converting my largest site to CP.