Genesis update doesn't work

Hallo,

the update genesis framework from genesis 2.6.1 to 2.7.1 does not work.

Greetings
Soenke

Hi @Soenke2, can you be more specific than “does not work” please?

What are you trying to do, and what happens when you try it? Error messages, screenshots, etc are all helpful.

Does the same issue appear on a WordPress site (not ClassicPress)?

First reported here: Problem with updating Genesis themes

Interesting. Thus I am not the only one - but the people at WP Engine have clearly stated that they are not preventing updates on forks. We have probably to wait for more reports in order to identify the issue. In my case, I had just got the warning that update had failed - the kind of usual message when - for some reason - the update of a plugin or theme fails.

Interesting, we will continue to monitor it and ask that people who do run into this issue report it back to them as well. Hopefully if they see enough of their customers asking for a fix/support they can dedicate some resources to it.

I think - if possible- in documenting issues it might be helpful to use something like ScreencastOMatic to video record the issues if we can reproduce them and then (if you use Dropbox or Google Drive or something like that) share the link if possible. I do alot of web design work and often have technical glitches or issues and regularly email videos to clients to show training, issues, or just report on projects. I use ScreencastOMatic, Dropbox, and ScreencastOmatic has an option where you can make videos password protected and so on. There are lots of other tools to use but my point is that in documenting error messages or glitches, I think it helps to show videos of things if it’s possible to do it or recreate. I know many already know this, but in case some don’t know about these tools…

1 Like

Just simple static screenshots are very helpful too. They’re easier to create (most computers have a built-in tool to do it) and easier to upload (they can be hosted right here as a file attachment on this site).

1 Like

I’m working on a “master list” of web tools also but I know screenshotmachine.com works for that.

For static screenshots (on Windows,) I use Greenshot… it works great and allows you to paste straight from the clipboard into, say, GitHub, Slack… or even right here. And, for lightweight moving screengrabs, ScreenToGif works well. The Windows snipping tool is fine, too, so long as you don’t need tidy highlighting.

1 Like

Added to the list. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for help!

Excuse the late answer.

Everything works … (as reported in another article

Greetings!!!

1 Like

:flushed: please excuse!

Unfortunately, it seems that we are not finished with that Genesis issue — that we had thought to be resolved, as reported in another discussion, now closed.
As I attempt to update Genesis to its latest version on a ClassicPress site, I am getting messages about “download failed” and “forbidden”. On the other hand, the theme updates without any issue on my non-CP sites.
Since all my sites are based on Genesis framework (except for two newly created sites that I moved to CP and for which I have used RoughPixels themes), it is a concern to see that Genesis does not seem to be very CP-friendly…
As you remember, when contacted, StudioPress replied that they wouldn’t block WP forks, but neither did they seem to be willing to support forks actively. Let’s hope that WP Engine (which acquired StudioPress and Genesis Framework last yeare) will start developing some interest for CP. For the time being, however, they do rather seem eager to show how well they support Gutenberg - which is a good thing too, but I would hope that they don’t forget their non-Gutenberg customers. Let’s see…

I do not remember if I had already shared the trick I am using in such cases, since obviously I do not want to remove Genesis first for replacing it with the new version.
There is a wonderful little plugin called Update Theme and Plugins from Zip File WordPress plugin, http://www.iwebss.com/wordpress/plugins/1431-update-theme-plugins-zip-file-wordpress-plugin. It allows to update a theme or plugin from a downloaded zip file without removing the previous version first. For the time being at least, it works really fine on a CP install.

But still, I see this trick as a temporary solution. The serious question here is to know if we can expect StudioPress (and WP Engine) to start supporting CP at some point. If they would, obviously this would represent a major step forward.

1 Like

Hi @jfmayer, we’ve recently seen and helped resolve a similar issue, so I’m now wondering if the same fix may work here too.

Plugins that serve their own updates from their own servers may be expecting the request to come from WordPress, but ClassicPress sends a different identification string to the server.

In order to see if this is what’s happening here, can you try adding this code to your site? You can drop it in wp-content/mu-plugins/temp-update-fix.php or in your active theme’s functions.php file, and that will be enough to test:

<?php

add_filter( 'http_headers_useragent', function( $ua ) {
    return 'WordPress/' . get_bloginfo( 'version' ) . '; ' . get_bloginfo( 'url' );
} );
1 Like

Thank you very much. Since I have already updated using the other method described in my message, I will wait until the next update comes, and then try the method that you suggest and see how it works. I will let you know then about my experience.

2 Likes

We haven’t identified a definitive cause for this issue. However, after seeing similar issues with a couple of other different premium plugins and themes, we decided to implement a fix in ClassicPress.

Upgrade to 1.0.0-rc1 and this will probably fix any remaining issues with Genesis updates.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, your efforts on that issue are much appreciated.
Since most of my sites are built with Genesis themes (except for a few recent ones that use RoughPixels themes), I would very much like to continue with them — although I am aware that this depends very much on what StudioPress will do.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.