How different phases of the technology adoption lifecycle impacts on CP

Continuing the discussion from Download CP - Why so many clicks to find it?:

I read this thread and thought it may be beneficial to explore the the technology adoption lifecycle.
A lot of people probably know this model, but for those who are not familiar, it assumes that the number of people adopting a new technology (or product) is plotted on a bell curve.
It is split into ranges for “innovators”, “early adopters”, “early majority”, “late majority” and “laggards”.

I’d say that CP is probably at a level where it is saturated for “innovators” and that it is trying to move into the “early adopters” phase.

As the technology adoption cycle progresses, ease of use becomes more and more important.
This specifically includes removing any barriers to entry, perceived or otherwise.

I’d say @roald is right that a one-click download (or as close as possible) should be a very high priority.
Each additional click is a risk of losing a conversion.

I would also recommend a short “how to” guide with screenshots.

Are there other differences between “innovators” and “early adopters” that people here can think of?
How is marketing to this segment different from marketing to “innovators”?

2 Likes

One-click download for both the migration plugin and the whole enchilada is happening on the next version of website.

7 Likes

That is really great news, @raygulick

Any other differences between the “innovator” and “early adopter” groups?
A thread like this can be used as a brainstorming map later and to improve a framework for end-user documentation. :bouquet:

2 Likes

Innovator: a high risk profile, tries new things as they come up even if he knows they aren’t so stable yet. Accepts some flaws as “necessary steps to prune the product”. Loves to get involved by giving feedback, appreciates when he gets answers to his feedback because he feels listened to.
Early adopters: usually wait first stable release, are among the first to implement stable changes. They have a plethora of valid reasons not to risk trying out an unstable product but want to benefit as much as possible of all new stable features as they get released. He thinks being early adopter helps him stay on top of his industry for he has the best technology available at any given moment. Gives feedback in case he finds something he needs the product to do, he is eager to help in developing the new features he needs for he will be the first to benefit from that when those features become a stable part of the product.

3 Likes