Is There a ClassicPress Swag Store?

Hi All,

Sorry I haven’t been around in quite some time; there’s been a huge amount of upheaval here and I needed to attend to that.

Yes, I originally set up those brand guidelines, and the guideline you quote is really intended for those outside of CP who may want to use our brand – one example would be to create the impression that we are co-branding a product with them, which can imply our endorsement (and we might not want that).

Early on we discussed swag and I looked into many of the same solutions you’re proposing. The biggest blockers were shipping costs (especially international) and fees.

I agree with @viktor here, I think that an official store is best; ClassicPress Initiative has the bank account and manages the funding of the project, so that’s where the money could flow through. So – I guess a decision needs to be made about how we want to proceed:

What POD service will we use? Is it something that integrates with CP, or a standalone service?
Who will be responsible for monitoring sales and making sure everything runs smoothly?
What items do we want to sell in the shop?

Let me know how I can assist.
Thanks.
Michelle

2 Likes

What POD service will we use?

I think if we set one up, delivery should be as International as possible. Unfortunately this means two things as far I have read about those tools: delivery costs increase, and it usually needs a self-stored store. Thus I think the Printify is not bad but also not super ideal. CafePress would avoid the self-storing of the store but they do not deliver very widely. I think the choice would be between PrintFul or Printify, but I haven’t yet got feedback from my acquaintance so I would want to wait to put my finger on one of them or a third.

Is it something that integrates with CP, or a standalone service?

It will most likely be a self-stored, WC integrated solution. Printify does ship their own integration plugin which works with old WC and WP, so that would mean theoretically it should also work with CC. But CC is an outdated unsafe piece of do-not-touch-me IMO. We should not use it. And that presents a problem, we are literally not capable of running an eCommerce store with CP. Not safely or with updated and maintained plugins anyway. So that brings back the question of self-stored vs something like CafePress which builds the shop for you…

Who will be responsible for monitoring sales and making sure everything runs smoothly?

No one can do this but directors. I have been asking since last year for more diversified access to the core things such as Git Repos, Websites, Servers, and other controls. This has not been done, partially also because there likely is not enough trust in eventual “helpers” or “fallback people”. Thus, IMO, this should be done by those who do have the access to do things when they need to. “monitoring sales and making sure everything runs smoothly” means that you can react when it is needed. If someone without any rights or caps monitors, that person won’t be able to react when it is needed, and thus, the whole monitoring is for nothing, as they still would need to “wake up” someone who can react.

What items do we want to sell in the shop?

That is another question that should if possible be defining the choice of the platform used. The best would literally be if we could just upload our creatives and the prospects could build their swag by choice. So we wouldn’t have to say “we have shirts and long sleeves and coffee mugs but no mousepads”. I’m not sure such service exists. If it does not, and most services do seem to force you to build a stock of things first, then I would propose to offer shirts in perhaps 3 sizes unisex, perhaps long and short sleeve or short sleeve and a hoodie, as well as some more techie/nerdy related stuff such as a mousepad, surely a sticker (transparent/shaped) and perhaps a hat. I think the stickers is the most important actually. These can go on a lot of items, while shirts is really something you probably would buy for meetings, which we don’t have.

Let’s wait until next Monday to see if I and @Ttown hear back as well from our acquaintances about what they use. Once we have a choice for the service, we can start with few small items such as stickers. If it pulls, or we get lots of requests, we can also add shirts/hats/etc.
(Let’s cross fingers we can actually find a service that allows the prospect to build their own swag, that would remove this rather restrictive choice)
I would say, given the issue with CC, we have to go for a service that provides us with a store, in any case, unless we want to run it on WP :thinking: (which is not a tabu, IMO. Choose the right tool for the right task…)

CC is already being used on CP site for donations, so it’s already there like it or not.

Going with CafePress now doesn’t mean we can’t change it later if necessary.

We need to set something up now with minimal effort. It’s not going to make millions, so we shouldn’t spend too much time on it. Give folks an option to order some tshirts, a hat, coffee mug, maybe a coaster, and that’s a good start that covers everyone basically. More can be added later, if anyone requests it.

1 Like

Yea, I do not like that :smiley:

I am not sure we would be running the shop on the main site anyway, where the CC is used… but my main concern is, CC is not only not maintained, it is outdated by at least 3 security releases. While it is used for our donations, I would not be surprised if there is even bugs in it, because as a matter of facts every single donation to CP since the very first is cancelled, unless 2
The only 2 that are not canceled, are

Payment due – Error
Processing scheduled renewal payment.
Action is not supposed to be executed, aborting.

So while this might not be CC fault, the sole point of it being not maintained for me is enough to face reality (and this is not even considering the security patches it misses, which may or may not be crucial).
I really would not suggest using this tool.

I agree we could run with CafePress - makes sense to start small and expand as needed.

1 Like

My acquaintance uses Printful.
They are happy with it but said that Printify - while being basically the same - just has better shipping coverage.

As we do not want to/have the resources to run a self hosted store (for good reasons I believe) I guess we should stick with less coverage for now and go with cafepress as @viktor suggested.

I could - but I believe @Directors should - create an account.

@viktor has proposed to provide creatives, I guess we can simply use our logos on the page ClassicPress Brand Guidelines | ClassicPress? When I tried out printify, it was very simple to build the products. You upload the asset, position it on the item and press “done”.

It seems we have a more or less agreement on the items as well:

• Shirts (t-shirt, unisex, S, M and L I think are fine?). They should probably be simple black or white, because having them in our brand color is impossible/costly. I suggest printing them in front top right the “ClassicPress (feather here)” logo, round big feather on back. Of course that is just a suggestion.
  • Stickers (I would if possible suggest one that is transparent/round with feather logo with green background, or just the feather shape, to cover a broad application span).
  • A hat with a feather logo in green background. Probably black is fine.
  • A mug with a logo “ClassicPress (feather here)” logo. White mug is fine I think.

Who will be responsible for monitoring this:
A @Directors because the only persons with access to accounts to initiate eventual refunds and/or react when financial problems appear or else “upper level” issues appear.
That person may imo ask/designate a helping hand to tackle less dramatic issues such as eventual support, if any necessary, or else non-high-level issues.
I am happy to help with that, I do however not have the authority to deal with the more crucial stuff so I believe a director must be the main responsible. But I have also been told to not involve in “too many things” so I leave this as the last option and would prefer as well as encourage others to come forward for this position, if needed.

1 Like

Once everything is set up, I’ll work on the graphics if they need to be tailored to specific templates. I don’t want to waste time until the store/account is ready for creatives.

2 Likes

Things are a little more settled for me these days so I may have time to help out with this. I’m checking with the other directors to get their feedback.

2 Likes

We’re good to set something up if you like. Is CafePress the way you want to go?

Also, responding to your comment about the donation buttons on the site; I’m going to look into something else for that as well.

1 Like

I think - while I don’t like their shipping region restrictions - for a start it probably is best to use a service providing the store.
So cafepress to me seems ok.

2 Likes

I agree, CafePress is a good starter option. We can revisit this once CP has an actively maintained e-commerce plugin.

4 Likes

Hello everyone – the ClassicPress shop is now available here: https://www.cafepress.com/classicpress

All proceeds go to the ClassicPress Initiative to help defray costs of maintaining the ClassicPress project. Thanks!

4 Likes

Thanks for setting this up! I just ordered a shirt :eyes:

2 Likes

Shared in Facebook…

1 Like

The green circle + feather too me seems a bit huge, but let’s see what users feedback. Let’s hope many buy :grinning: (and share this often so it doesn’t get buried)

Hi @anon66243189 – I can adjust the size of the icon if needed; that was what defaulted when the image was uploaded. However, it has to be done for each product individually so it would be helpful to know what products need to be changed.

I would reduce circle logo a bit, maybe 20%. Also, a few shirts have the logo a bit high on the chest - not all though. For example:

I would move the logo on shirts like these a bit down, right below the arm put like the one on the right.

1 Like

I agree - did not even see the “high on the chest” before.

I also saw this one https://www.cafepress.com/mf/129848069/classicpress-icon_sweatshirt?shop=ClassicPress&productId=930063299 and I would make it smaller too.

For the big circle I actually would use just the feather, no circle. Because with circle it looks like “stamped”, while with just feather, it could look real “light and non-invasive”
Also those big areas of color tend to dissolve real quick in sun and washing machine. so the less color we apply, the better (more durable).

Can we also have the Stickers being actual shapes and not circles? I do not know if the store builder allows that. I refer to https://www.cafepress.com/+sticker_10_pk,930058345. Can we not make it round, so that the actual sticker is exactly of the size of the green circle/area?

My long sleeve just arrived, looks good :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Hi @anon66243189 and @viktor – this was all auto-placed by the cafepress but I’ll try to get back in there to make adjustments.

I can definitely delete the circle logo shirts and replace them with just a feather logo shirt.

On the stickers – unfortunately they only offer squares, rectangles and ovals.

Also, FYI, CafePress only allows one design per product. I tried to split the full logo and the icon between the different styles / products but if you don’t see a particular design on a particular style of shirt (deluxe short sleeve, for instance) that’s why.

@wadestriebel - I’m glad you’re happy with the shirt! Looks great!

5 Likes