Migration does not complete successfully


#1

The link must have updated a few minutes after I tried!

Unfortunately the migration process gets as far as:

Downloading update from https://github.com/ClassyBot/ClassicPress-nightly/releases/download/1.0.0%2Bmigration.20190305/ClassicPress-nightly-1.0.0-migration.20190305.zip…

and then hangs.

Note that the github page tells us to download “switch-to-classicpress.zip” but that asset is not shown in the latest release. So I tried with the “source code” zip link.


Migrating from WP 5.1
#2

Fixed :man_facepalming: I really need to automate that.

How long? A couple of minutes is normal when the server doesn’t have a lot of bandwidth to download from other sites. Usually, though, the update will complete after at most 2 or 3 minutes…

Are there any errors in your error log? Have you migrated any other sites with this server / hosting company?


#3

I’m trying to switch a localhost site on a computer that’s doing nothing else, with a 16Mbps broadband connection. I’ve done it before successfully on two localhost sites though that was with the beta.

The page shows the downloading message while it’s still loading, and it stays in that state (partly loaded) for an average of two minutes, then the page finishes loading but without displaying any further messages. It’s like it just gave up.

There’s nothing in my error log but my JavaScript console says Failed to load resource: net::ERR_INCOMPLETE_CHUNKED_ENCODING

Could it be the timeout settings on my Apache or PHP?


#4

This post may shed some light on it.


#5

No, that thread shows errors I haven’t seen.


#6

The error is not the same, but the cause looks like it could be related.

This happens every time you try the upgrade?

Does this server have the cURL extension for PHP installed?

Can you try making the modifications in this PR on your site and see if the upgrade works then? https://github.com/ClassicPress/ClassicPress/pull/397


#7

For some reason, after 10 failed tries yesterday, just now it worked (without making the changes in the PR cited above). The initial download part of the process took about 30 seconds.

FYI, my localhost server (XAMPP) is running cURL 7.45.0 with OpenSSL 1.0.2n.

I have a suspicion that my ISP might have been having problems yesterday and the connection to Github might just have been lost part way through each time.

One curious thing: on my dashboard page, the ‘At a Glance’ widget shows “ClassicPress 1.0.0+migration.20190305 running RCG3 theme.” I would have expected it to just say “1.0.0”.

EDIT: after using the “If you need to re-install version 1.0.0, you can do so here” option on the updates page, the at a glance widget changed to “ClassicPress 1.0.0 running RCG3 theme.”


#8

Yes, this would explain what you were seeing.

This is normal - the migration process uses slightly different builds of ClassicPress. The top-level folder of the build has to be called wordpress in order for the WordPress update system to process it, but our official release builds are not structured this way.


closed #9

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.