Migration plugin compatibility with future WP versions

I have a few WordPress sites, some more important than others. A minor one is already migrated to ClassicPress but my most important one - at the moment I’m not prepared to take the risk until 1.0 officially launches.

So, question. Is the migration plugin going to be maintained for a while? Is it expected to support forthcoming WordPress releases - currently we are at 5.0.1, will 5.0.2 etc. be supported?

1 Like

5.0.1 is compatible with Migration plugin. I check it myself.

There was also talk on slack about updating it to 5.0.2.

Based on track record so far and the talk, I’d say that it will be kept updated to allow people to continue migrating from WordPress as Gutenberg and blocks is rolled out through menus, widgets and so on in phase 2 and later.

1 Like

Mine isn’t compatible with 5.0.1…I have the latest version of the plugin.

What error? any active security plugin during migration? Can you list your active plugin?

Looking at the files in the migration plugin, it is only checking up to 5.0.

You might have to wait until James or one of the core team members can clarify this for you.

I’ve migrated about 20 sites (all on 4.9.8) with the same plugin setup, so I’m pretty sure it’s not a plugin.

The only difference was that the ones that gave me this error were on WP 5.0.1.

The migration plugin only supports WP up to 5.0 see here:

Ya that’s why I was getting confused on how others were using it with 5.0.1. That’s the only reason I even tried.

Yeah, you could do it by doing the “migration without using the plugin” method, but I can’t say for sure if that is safe or would work. That’s why I say wait until the core team can answer you.

We plan to support 5.0.1 (and future ones we can support). However, you are correct, right now the plugin doesn’t support 5.0.1 but we are working on it :slight_smile:

Here is the open issue on Github: Support for WP 5.0.1 · Issue #48 · ClassicPress/ClassicPress-Migration-Plugin · GitHub

1 Like

Currently, we need to release a new version of the migration plugin for each new WordPress version. This is not ideal, but “supporting” WP versions when we haven’t actually tested them is also not ideal. Open to ideas and suggestions there.

In the meantime there is a way to override the WP version check by adding a line of code in your theme’s functions.php file or a file under wp-content/mu-plugins. See: GitHub - ClassicPress/ClassicPress-Migration-Plugin: Switch your WordPress installation to ClassicPress.

2 Likes

Note: I’ve also added this info to the migration documentation page so that it will be easier to find.

1 Like

Thanks James

I think the migration plugin is important for those of us who use vps administrators like severpilot.

At least until Cp is more popular and can be installed from this type of administrators.

In this case the fastest is to install wordpress (by default the latest version is installed) and then it is updated to CP with the plugin.

Passing files by sftp is very delayed and it will be a great help to maintain the migration plugin.

I can not help because I’m not a programmer but I thank the developers for thinking about this.

By the way, I just migrated from 5.0.2 and without any problem.

1 Like

I’ve just migrated a site with WP 5.0.3 using that added line in functions.php to override the version check.

The migration went through fine and the site looks to be working perfectly.

2 Likes

Hello ozfiddler

Could you tell me what is the code line and where to add it exactly?

I’m making new sites and the preinstallation of server pilot is already default by 5.0.3.

I appreciate your response

Just add this line

add_filter( ‘classicpress_ignore_wp_version’, ‘__return_true’ );

to your functions.php file in the active theme (or child theme).

1 Like

You can add the code in your theme functions.php like @ozfiddler wrote, or since it is mostly an one off action to migrate to CP, you can just change the version number in plugin folder /lib/admin-page.php:318

1 Like

Thanks Christos. I was just trying to do another site with that line in functions.php and it wasn’t working for some reason. Your method did it though.

2 Likes

I did the version number change. Worked perfectly.