In this thread I’d like to gather possible features for the petition for an improved media library in CP.
As base, these are my ideas for the neglected love child:
- a more complete media library API
- directory / file list instead of just the regular view (including different upload options, eg. optionally adding a subdirectory and putting files in there)
- improved sorting options
- add categories and tags (which are a rather simple thing to implement, as files are essentially a post type called ‘attachment’)
- auto-reindex / regenerate thumbnails, maybe even selectively regenerate thumbnails (or any other image size)
I’m going to implement the improved media library as an experimental plugin, where I try to add each feature separately (including a settings section to optionally disable / enable specific features, and maybe also configure them further).
Suggestions of plugins, issues and articles for implementing wanted features (from the petition comments):
- For copyright tracking / meta data: https://wordpress.org/plugins/credit-tracker/
- A lot of what was proposed is in here - https://wordpress.org/plugins/enhanced-media-library/
- Clean up after resized images (ie. the copies) - https://wordpress.org/plugins/thumbnail-cleaner/
- Disable attachment pages - https://gschoppe.com/wordpress/disable-attachment-pages/
- Image Sets for responsive images - https://github.com/ResponsiveImagesCG/wp-tevko-responsive-images/issues/45