Following on from the original thread, below is my take on what was discussed.
A directory, rather than repository is required, into which developers can submit plugins:
- The plugins will be automatically reviewed, but processes for manual review need to be created.
- The directory will hold a link to the developers repository (I imagine rules on repo structure would be required; similar to SVN on WP.org).
- Are plugins identified on slug (as per WP) or using another ID such as a GUID? If the latter, how are duplicate names to be avoided?
- Plugins need to be identified as Free/Freemium/Premium - this requires discussion as there is some differences on whether Freemium should be a separate category; personally, I think it should as they are middle ground between Free and Premium paid for plugins.
Types of plugins:
- Free - completely free, un-crippled, and not soliciting in any way.
- Freemium - some functionality free, but some requiring payment to plugin developer.
- Premium - paid, with no functionality available otherwise.
Visibility of the directory to users via tabs:
- Featured - A list of plugins that pay a monthly fee for placement. Non-paginated. Both free and premium plugins would be free to take advantage of this. Custom sort based on premium paid…
- Latest - A list of the latest n plugins. Paginated. Or, even filterable down to new this week or new this month. Default to descending sort on creation-date.
- Popular - A list of the most popular n plugins. Paginated, or filterable, based on number of downloads of current version in x period (e.g. last 90 days).
Browse - Paginated. Default to descending sort on last-updated date, but with filters for users to include, or exclude types of plugins (Free/Premium) and tags.
- WordPress - Does CP need to maintain a link to the CP repository in the early days due to lack of volume in CP directory? I would not mirror as this will likely cause problems down the line, but allowing users to search for a plugin in the WP Repo might be beneficial.
If I’ve missed, or misinterpreted anything, please add a comment.